Programming a used remote for a 2014 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northern Rover

Reaction score
I'm running into the same issue here, I need a second key as my used 2012 LR4 only came with one fob. After researching, i decided on the IIDTool BT and tried programming the ebay keys i purchased after seeing that others were successful with them only to get the E7 error. The keys were recognized but wouldn't program.

I spoke with the people at GAP Diagnostics who told me that my 2012 LR4 has the latest KVM software security update and that they are still working on a workaround for programming new keys. They told me that they plan to have an update out in a few months...

I'm wondering if there are any other options for programming these keys in the meantime?

I've been looking into the Yunhua mini ACDP JLR KVM programmer and the JLR Doctor KVM module programmer.

Any thoughts??

Delta V

Reaction score
Thanks, umbertob. I did figure out how to do the key programming on my own; however, the process failed every time I attempted it. On talking to one of the engineers at GAP Tools, I was informed that key programming with the IIDTool will not work on newer LR4s. It seems that Land Rover made it so to reduce the risk of theft of vehicles. GAP is working on updating their software to allow key programming on newer LR4s, but it requires having the bluetooth version of the IIDTool, not the regular one like I purchased. After already spending $397 on the IIDTool, I am trying to decide if it is worth an additional $137 to upgrade to the BT version when I can just purchase a new key from the dealer for around $500. What do you think?

Having the bluetooth is nice because I can do everything from my phone instead of navigating with the steering wheel buttons. It's a reasonably nice interface, especially for a small company which (I'm guessing) isn't primarily an app company.