ProSpeed slider install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look great! I have the Tactical 4x4 sliders and they were pretty easy to bolt up, but I did have to apply some rubber strips to where they articulate with the frame (due to creaking, a common problem). Their protection was amazing and fit and finish great. After the winter, I am going to drop them again, clean them, and re-paint. I also have the gas tank skid and transfer case skid and they work great, though the transfer case skid does hang a bit lower than I expected.

Got any pics of where you added the rubber strips? Skid plates are on the short list here, just not sure which ones I want to do yet.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added foam strips myself to the Tactical sliders, along the frame rail under the truck, and along the top and bottom edges of the sills. Basically, wherever there was potential contact and friction between body / chassis and the steel sliders. About 30/40 feet or so of foam strips did it for me (I got the self adhesive type used for insulation on pickup truck beds when installing cabs.)

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added foam strips myself to the Tactical sliders, along the frame rail under the truck, and along the top and bottom edges of the sills. Basically, wherever there was potential contact and friction between body / chassis and the steel sliders. About 30/40 feet or so of foam strips did it for me (I got the self adhesive type used for insulation on pickup truck beds when installing cabs.)

The ProSpeed came with rubber strips for the top edge behind the doors, you can see it in the first pic. They're pretty substantial. Guess time will tell if the underside needs it as well. Thanks.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Same here. I did the exact same thing as Umberto. In fact, I think he told me what he did and I followed a couple years ago. Tactical 4x4 did not provide these strips, but I will tell you the creaking is really annoying if you don't add some level of insulation.

Sorry, I do not have photos of the foam strips, but I think I have pictures on Instagram of the skid plates. The biggest downfall of all the Tactical 4x4 stuff is that it's so darn heavy!

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that you had fitting issues with the sliders. All the Prospeed stuff I have lined up perfectly including the sliders.

I ended up just keeping the stock rubber door seals and it fits fine without any annoying creaks. I tried installing the seals that came with the sliders but it was major PITA for me to remove the seals for all 4 doors...

Perseus

Reaction score
here is a shot of my Voyager sliders. Protection of the air compressor is suspect
IMG_20161116_160907181_reduced.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I went with Tactical 4x4 because I had several sets of sliders between my 2011 and 2013. I have had the Voyager, Urban Offroad, and GN Vehicle Protection. The plastic compressor case on my 2011 was crunched up pretty bad on some rocks, so when I got my 2013 I went with Urban Offroad because I got a good deal, but realized quickly I needed the Tactical 4x4 when I saw their level of protection. Sure, I like some of the others better, especially since they are not as heavy, but I guess at this point I don't care anymore about the weight.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much more do the T4X4 sliders weigh than the others?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My somewhat educated guess is about 100 to 150 lbs more. The sliders from Tactical are about 220 lbs (for the pair) IIRC, and they feel heavier than that when you try to install them by yourself, which can be done with patience and a floor jack, but is not an easy job. Then there's the fuel plate, another 60 or so... It's like driving around with a fat guy in the passenger seat, 24/7. At least the extra weight is down low. But you definitely feel it. I actually drop the fuel tank slider on the floor of my garage when I don't plan on off-roading for a few weeks / months. But it's a PITA to bolt it back on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM