Really high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa - its not ECU. Easy :) Nice good cap of tea (tea, i said. Not that stuff they sell in supermarkets.. PG tips or something like that), slice of lemon and some honey.

Now.. :)

So what you telling here is: it revs high to about 1200rpm in N/D. Its ok. Nothing wrong about it, unless rpms arent coming down after engine warms up. Are they coming down? If yes - its all cool. If not, try this:

1) i cant remember if them distributorless 4.OL got this stupid thin vacuum pipe that was posted by Jason. If it does - check that if its still hooked up on both ends.
2) while engine running and idling - turn on headlights. Any change in rpms?
3) how far you drove so far? When i posted here about MAF weird thing - there was theory that you got to drive about 100-150 miles to get it to realize something.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Ok ..So I just drove about 150 + miles and the idle is still high..The tech at the shop today said that its got to do with the idle circuit? "while engine running and idling - turn on headlights. Any change in rpms?" A bit not much ...Just a little bit. And Serg it goes up and stays up @ 1800 (now) after driving for awhile... In Drive and N the RPS are @ 1700-1800 RPM and its stays that way ..I can not get them to go down, unless I put the rover in Reverse or Drive..Then it goes to about 1000 RPM ....Stepper motor. Take it out, und clean. Make sure connection is ok... Did that too

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may seem silly, but do you have free throttle play? Meaning, does your throttle linkage actually return back to where it should? On my truck a couple years ago there was a rubber "boot" that tore and jammed, which made the throttle stay part-way open rather than return to idle. Is there something physically preventing the throttle from closing to idle?

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I just checked that Andy (nothing blocking it) .. The pedal has some play..Like the cruise is one or something... But there is nothing holding the pedal or blocking it (like the mats).

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when my rig dose the crazy idle i just put into gear and bring the revs down to normal. and when they are were they should be i let it idle for about 20 - 30 mins, an all is well

ps i am lucky the guy that built mine was dating twins. :tongue:

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber piece stuck in the throttle linkage could be a doozie...happened to me once on a streek bike. Unfortunately it happened when I was doing a wheelie. I was about to go over backwards when I killed the engine...scary *******.

About your problem. My car had a high idle, had to replace the stepper motor. Idle was still running high. Took it back to the (independent) shop. After a couple adjustments the idle was back to normal. Wish I knew what they adjusted. That's one reason I've decided to do my own work from now on.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it ever end for you Melissa? I hope so but without all of your rover issues, this board would probably be dead. Good luck with this one!

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fast idle

Rover Chick, locate the hose that feeds air to the stepper motor and squeeze
it shut, idle should go down to around 550 rpm. I forgot do you have a dizzy? If so mechanical advance may be dry, rusty and sticking. Throw a timing light on it, readings? Cruise control linkage pulling on the throttle when the rpm's are high? Carl...........................o&o>..................................

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72