Rear Driveshaft Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

Banjoman

OK, I'm about 95% finished changing my rotoflex coupler to a u-joint on my '96 Disco and I have one last final question/problem. This is kind of hard to explain, so please bear with me.
I got the driveshaft with the u-joint off a 98 Disco from the local salvage yard - it is in good condition and I got it at a good price. The driveshaft is composed of two pieces: the u-joint that attaches to the transfer case which has a long pinion-like male end, and the actual shaft that attaches to the rear diff which has a female receptacle that matches the male portion of the u joint. The two pieces are joined with a rubber collar. The shaft and transfer-case-u-joint-male-end were pulled apart when I got them from the salvage yard - naturally i thought I could put them back together. Not so - I can't seem to get them fit together. There is a notch in the female end of the driveshaft but I cannot find a corresponding piece on the male end. Are they made so that won't be able to put back together? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Eric

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear drive shaft

Banjoman, you need to have the yokes at both ends inline, this could be as from factory or 180 degrees out. Do you have balance weights from the factory? I'd install and road test for vibration, you've got 50/50 chance it's correct. On my 95 D1 5-speed at 92,000 the 3 rd rag joints going away and i have a new shaft from Britpart to install. Nows the time to clean the spline before you install and lube. Good luck, Carl...............o&o>...............

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM