rear halfshaft squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi gang.

I have noticed a couple days a go, that ,when I select REVERSE something is squeaking on rear passenger side of my LR3.At first I thought, that it may be a park brake shoe touching something in the rotor, since I replace them a couple months a go, but today, I let my wife jump behind the wheel and as i was outside listening and try to pinpoint the location of the dreaded noise.It seems to come from an axle area, definitely from behind the wheel , meaning it could be halfshaft, probably inner shaft or possibly halfshaft bearing.Now...is it possible for a bearing or half shaft to squeak only on REVERSE? When I switch over to DRIVE it is silent.
How labor intensive it is to replace a halfshaft bearing or halfshaft itself?
Can I just pack grease into CV joint and hope for the best or it would be wiser to buy a inner or outer boot kit and replace just that, obviously if diagnosed correctly?It does not vibrate while driving the vehicle.
Is it safe to drive for a while before I fix the problem or I just risk excessive temp.and possible diff failure in very near future.Thanks

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of it being bad in one direction. But I'd replace the joint as opposed to repacking it since it could be worn out.

lex99

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. Squeaking in reverse only. Turns out it was the parking brake shoes. Re-adjusted them as per "Brody's Brake Bible", and problem solved. You can find "Brody's Brake Bible" with a simple google search. Good luck!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's Bodsys Brake Bible... just want to be sure he gets all the credit, and people can find it.

http://www. disco3. co. uk/ gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. Squeaking in reverse only. Turns out it was the parking brake shoes. Re-adjusted them as per "Brody's Brake Bible", and problem solved. You can find "Brody's Brake Bible" with a simple google search. Good luck!

I assume you watch "homeland" too often?:bandit:

I know all about Bodsy's brake bible.It has been so long since anybody responded to my thread and to be honest with you ,squeaking problem just went away one day and never came back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM