Rear hatch switch not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mainlander

Reaction score
The rear hatch switch does not release/open the rear tail gate for my 2010 LR4. When I use the trunk button on the keyfob the upper tail gate opens, so seems the actuator/cable system is still working. Before I go and replace this switch is there potentially any other cause or tests I should do? Also, do the LR3 switches fit the LR4?

I found two part numbers for the switch: LR015458 and LR071911. Are these part numbers interchangeable?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean, it doesn't open on its own (it's not supposed to), of if you go an push the button on the top of the tailgate, you can't get the thing to even come down?

I think they changed things since the LR3 days. My LR3 had significant problems with the cable inside the rear tailgate breaking. It was pain to get into and repair, I eventually found a workaround on this form and directed the dealer to put in a more permanent fix.

My LR4, luckily, hasn't given me any tailgate latch issues yet.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I haven't even tried to open the hatch with the fob in almost 3 years of owning an LR4. I just assumed it words the same as the LR3, which is to say, doesn't work. Guess I should try it!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I haven't even tried to open the hatch with the fob in almost 3 years of owning an LR4. I just assumed it words the same as the LR3, which is to say, doesn't work. Guess I should try it!

I never use mine either. The unlatching mechanism of the top gate requires a two-step process. Pressing the gate button on the fob triggers the 1st step, but the gate remains latched. You still have to reach into the handle recess to trigger the 2nd step and open the top gate. Therefore it is just as easy to hit the unlock button on the fob and lift up the gate. Now in my 2013 w/passive entry I can just walk up to my locked vehicle and pull that recessed handle and up she goes.

If the fob button caused the top gate to swing open it would be valuable but we all know that's not happening. It's a Land Rover Thing™.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never use mine either. The unlatching mechanism of the top gate requires a two-step process. Pressing the gate button on the fob triggers the 1st step, but the gate remains latched. You still have to reach into the handle recess to trigger the 2nd step and open the top gate. Therefore it is just as easy to hit the unlock button on the fob and lift up the gate. Now in my 2013 w/passive entry I can just walk up to my locked vehicle and pull that recessed handle and up she goes.

If the fob button caused the top gate to swing open it would be valuable but we all know that's not happening. It's a Land Rover Thing™.

I've got the passive entry as well. To this day I don't know why they made the fob open-but-dont-open option. Land Rover thing or not, it's just plain dumb.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the passive entry as well. To this day I don't know why they made the fob open-but-dont-open option. Land Rover thing or not, it's just plain dumb.
Does it by any chance *just* unlock the glass so that once you put things in and close it, the car is again locked? Then I guess it would be useful if you were unlocking from a distance (inside the house) so that someone else could access the back.

I do like with the passive entry that I can walk up to the locked car, take something out of the back, and it re-locks when I close it without me having to hit any buttons.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have no idea Todd, you could be right. I suppose that would be a minor benefit.

Mainlander

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. To clarify the rubber button on top glass portion of hatch does not do anything when i press it. Normally you would stand beside it, reach under and press upwards to unlock the top glass. It no longer responds, however, I can still open the top portion pressing the trunk button on the FOB while pulling up on the glass.

The lower tail gate button still works; everything is normal there.

I've seen the youtube video of cutting off the switch and attaching a new one. Before I try that, i'm going to cut off the old switch and see if I can short the two wires to try and unlock the top portion. In my original post I was just wondering if there's anything else that I should check. Someone mentioned it could be a broken wire at the very top of the glass hatch as they bend constantly, however, I don't think my FOB method would work if these wires were broken?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo