Rear shocks installed, question about front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the rear shocks installed on my 97 disco this week and it went great and it handles like a dream! I feel like I'm in a new range rover or something now. I can't wait to put the front shocks in and the steering damper, I'll be set... but I'm unsure how to take out and install the front shocks. The bottom bolt is above the axle and I can't figure out how you'd get a socket on that without the axle getting in the way. Can someone help?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You jack up the vehicle via the frame if I recall.... Can't remember if you have to take the springs out to get the shocks off or not, it has been a couple of years....

L

llesra

the bottom nut of the shock sucks.... remove the wheel at the corner that youll work at. use an open ended wrench and slowly loosened the bottom nut. if the shock starts to spin, use a strap wrench or channel lock to hold it in place. the channel lock will likely scratch the shock but youre replacing it anyways. when thats done, get a bunch of extensions to get to the four bolts that hold the shock tower in place. top nut is cake.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By four bolts do you mean the four bolts near the bottom of the shock, that connect to the axle?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Memory slowly coming back... when he states the four bolts... if you look at the top of the tire into the engine compartment you will see where the shock comes up into a metal tower or cage. The shock has a nut on top of this as well. You need to remove the fours nuts that hold the tower down.

Again this may help http://www.discoweb.org/springshock.htm

L

llesra

oops, i meant four nuts hold down the shock tower, not bolts.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay cool... I think I got it figured out. Basically you remove the bottom bolt with an open wrench then you take the four bolts off up top and slide the whole shock out, replace the new one and bolt everything back... Sounds pretty easy in theory... I'll see how it goes later today and report back.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Joey. I can't wait to get everything installed. The rear shocks made a huge improvement in ride quality. I feel like I'm riding on a cloud already, so I can't wait to get the front shocks on now.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit... major problem. One of the front shocks went in fine and on the second one, I stripped the top of the shock, so I can't get the last bolt off and out of the shock holder. So I'm trying to figure out what to do. I might have to have a shop cut it off or something, or I might even need to buy a new shock holder thing. I'm ******, I thought I was almost done and then this!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say you stripped the top of the shock... I take it that to nut would not come off of the old shock....

If that is the case, an angle grinder, a good dremel tool, cutting torches or and good hack saw will get it off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo