Requirements for Land Rover CPO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Certified Pre-Owned LR4 I picked up in January. It's been fantastic so far, but I've begun to wonder what the requirements are for the CPO program.

For example, am I able to do oil changes or brake jobs myself, or must I take it to a dealer?

What about other required services?

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt oil changes and brakes are covered under any warranty so I would think you can do them yourself. best thing to do is ask the warranty dept. I thought the CPO program meant the selected vehicles went through a better inspection process and carried a little longer warranty if that. CPO is just another way for them to charge more than retail value for a vehicle....thats my opinion.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Certified program covers vehicle bumper to bumper from a warranty stand point, no wear items or maintenance (oil, filters, brakes... aren't covered obviously). Program covers the vehicle for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles from date of initial purchase (date when vehicle was purchased by first owner).
I purchased my first LR4 with it and was extremely happy to have it as it spent quite a bit of time in the shop. My second has it too and I already had to have some warranty work done.
I believe that by law you can do your own maintenance and still be covered by the warranty. Just keep your receipts and dates as well as mileage when the maintenance was performed.
LR uses a specific engine oil that you might want to comply with in order to make sure that they cover engine issues, however you'll find people on this forum using other oils and being totally satisfied with them.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt oil changes and brakes are covered under any warranty so I would think you can do them yourself. best thing to do is ask the warranty dept. I thought the CPO program meant the selected vehicles went through a better inspection process and carried a little longer warranty if that. CPO is just another way for them to charge more than retail value for a vehicle....thats my opinion.

Thanks, but I am aware the warranty program does not cover oil changes and other such maintenance. The question I am asking is whether the warranty program requires this maintenance to be done at the dealer.

The warranty program extends the factory warranty to 6 years from the original date of service or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The CPO 2012 I bought in January was originally in service in January 2013 and had around 40,000 miles on the clock. Thus, it essentially came with a 3-year, 60,000 mile warranty.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Certified program covers vehicle bumper to bumper from a warranty stand point, no wear items or maintenance (oil, filters, brakes... aren't covered obviously). Program covers the vehicle for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles from date of initial purchase (date when vehicle was purchased by first owner).
I purchased my first LR4 with it and was extremely happy to have it as it spent quite a bit of time in the shop. My second has it too and I already had to have some warranty work done.
I believe that by law you can do your own maintenance and still be covered by the warranty. Just keep your receipts and dates as well as mileage when the maintenance was performed.
LR uses a specific engine oil that you might want to comply with in order to make sure that they cover engine issues, however you'll find people on this forum using other oils and being totally satisfied with them.

Thanks. I have read up on the engine oil requirements and have a Mityvac at the ready when the time comes.

My 2012 didn't show much warranty work in its history (other than a water pump, I believe), but my last Land Rover was an '94 Discovery and I swore I'd never own another one without a warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112