Rodents...again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About two weeks ago, my LR wouldn't start up. All the warning signs popped up. It looked a lot like what happened to my rig last winter when rodents chewed through a wire harness.. I was able to start the car, limp it on one gear (reduced performance..did not go over 50km/hr, good thing it was snowing heavily so I was actually going with the flow of traffic) and make it to my stealership. Sure enough, they found the area where the rodent chewed through the ribbed plastic sleeve, then through the cables itself (if you remove the engine block cover, it was all there. $500 later.. I was able to drive away. Fortunately, I was able get my auto insurance company to pay for it (but I had a $300 deductible.. hey, I got $200 back..lessen the sting). So the next morning, I checked on my rig again. Rodent crap on the engine cover. The little bastard(s) came back. So here's what I did. I took some Vietnamese hot sauce that I had sitting in my fridge, marinated some string with it.. tied that string around the wiring harness under the engine cover.. placed some "light" mothballs on the cover itself..and its been a week and no more signs of rodent activity. Fortunately, my ratty visitors is not one for the spicy Asian flair..

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't they make special mouse/rat poison or something you can put around your vehicle to keep the away?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mouse "food"

The link is to blocks of "food" that mice like to eat - last supper type of stuff.

I use something similar but rather than setting the blocks out loose, purchased some special black coloured plastic mouse food holders that have an opening in the side that a mouse can crawl in and out to nibble but keeps kids and cats from getting at it.

Every so often I open up the containers to see if the blocks within have been chewed on. Initially one sees activity, then a few weeks later, the blocks remain untouched as the problem just seems to have gone away.

Alternatively, a hungry cat can work wonders if you are into the natural way of achieving the results.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/D-Con-Rat-Mouse-Baits-8-ct/13908111

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BBYER.. yeah, I also had one of those rat poison/food blocks as well attached to the engine. Ive used that stuff last year and whatever lived in my engine last year did nibble on it.. which may have solved the problem because after the repairs from last year, there was no problem.
I decided to use the poison again this time to supplement my Vietnamese hot sauce marinated string..

and MBW.. Ive looked everywhere for a spray or something that is made specifically for car engines.. nothing.

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Panther **** or ****...no I'm not kidding....has a deterring effect on rodents and other opportunistic critters.
Contact your local zoo to see if you can get some...and no I'm still not kidding.
You don't have to wear it as cologne or a necklace...just a few drops or pieces near where your vehicle sleeps will do the trick.
And I'm still not kidding.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks rubbercow.. Fortunately, I think Walmart is having a sale on Panther ****/****..

Just kidding.

Appreciate the feedback, but for now, I think my Vietnamese hot sauce seems to be working.:smile:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zulu, I feel your pain. The windshield, headlight & rear window washers weren't working on our LR4 and I got the low washer fluid warning. So I put in a gallon only to see it pour out on the garage floor. Took it to the dealer and they called to say a rodent chewed through all the washer lines. So they had to order all new hoses to fix it. Included was pulling off the front bumper and fender liner to fix the front washers plus removing the A-pillar trim and headliner to run the new hose to the rear window.

The LR4 was at the dealer and we took the LR3 on vacation skiing. So I set out 6 wooden mouse traps with peanut butter bait in the empty garage. Came home to happily find 4 mice caught. I reloaded the traps and nothing so far.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt that Landover has trained an army of these rodents to invade our LRs in order to further the revenue of their service depth. :smile:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can taste quality

No doubt that Land Rover has trained an army of these rodents to invade our LR's in order to further the revenue of their service depth. :smile:
I think you may be crediting the LR boffins with too much. In this case, I think the little fellas can sense quality and know a good product when they taste it. They also like parked aircraft, particularily inside the wings.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM