Roof Advice for a newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...1**DISCOVERY+LR4**3&cml=2011&m=search_results

You could try one of these. I have been talking to Steve trying to get just the platform, with out the track and the feet. I want the lowest possible platform, but unfortunately, the stupid antenna is causing fitment issues. Unlike the Voyager racks, the Frontrunner rack doesn't have enough room to mount the platform down low around the antenna. Steve has come up with a platform that is ~45.8" wide by ~60.25" long, but I would have to cut one of the slats to fit down around the antenna. In addition, the back rail might possibly interfere with the tailgate. With the stock mounting system, the rack is high enough to clear the antenna, but I think it would look better down low on the short rails.I also don't want to have to lower my truck every time I go in/out of the garage-I only have about 79" max. of clearance.

I also scoured through all of these racks... I kind of like the Defender series, but it would be a custom fit situation

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-Parts-Car-Care/Roof-Rack.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=82&t_pt=3426

In the end, I just might have to get a low profile Voyager 1/2 rack...

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, we've fit the front runner to customer vehicles but I agree it is a bit too much modification. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the baja rack without the rails of course. It seems to have all of the requirements otherwise (antenna, etc).

Never an easy solution.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, we've fit the front runner to customer vehicles but I agree it is a bit too much modification. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the baja rack without the rails of course. It seems to have all of the requirements otherwise (antenna, etc).

Never an easy solution.

I forgot about the Baja Rack. It looks like a nice rack, but it seems like it sits kind of high as well. I wonder if the feet could be shortened...? If I remember, I think I can only be about 2" above the antenna for clearance. They don't seem to make the shorter rack for the LR4.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the Baja Rack. It looks like a nice rack, but it seems like it sits kind of high as well. I wonder if the feet could be shortened...? If I remember, I think I can only be about 2" above the antenna for clearance. They don't seem to make the shorter rack for the LR4.

I'm wondering the same. Not sure yet I want to plunk down the $ to turn around and modify one until I feel i've exhausted what's on the market. Someone in the UK must be dealing with the same...

obdoc

Reaction score
Ok, lets bring it back for a moment.

REI is having one of their sales over the next week and has 20% off thule and yakima products. With my LR4 and short roof rails and a desire not to have antenna issues I would love everyone's suggestions on favorite crossbars and cargo boxes. I need to figure out which size fits best for the cargo box. Also which crossbars are easiest to use (or the OEM).

And no, I didn't have a heated windshield. All fixed now.

Sgrodz

Reaction score
I just got the Whispbar . . .yakima product. Cam't comment myself as I'm picking up the LR4 Monday but I read a lot of great reviews. Also have the Thule Atlantis 1600 that we've used on our mdx and love it. I may upgrade to the 1800 or 2100 now that I have the LR4....would be nice to able to fit more gear.

Shawn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635