Roof Rack for camping gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced it with this:

LR3_hannibal_rack-12.gif

LR3_hannibal_rack-13.gif

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I am looking for! Thanks to both you and Trynian for all your help! Lights package next! Thanks again Off Roving! will go to that site and purchase. :)

I connected with Sergio at Baja Racks and confirmed they are building them upon request and have not added them to their range yet due simply to being busy.

Roof top tent appears to be $710 [flat style]
th_LRD3EXPiso.jpg

or the one with sides appears to be $750 [basket]
th_LRD3iso.jpg

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I connected with Sergio at Baja Racks and confirmed they are building them upon request and have not added them to their range yet due simply to being busy.

Roof top tent appears to be $710 [flat style]

or the one with sides appears to be $750 [basket]

Man, those guys are so reasonable! It was cool meeting them at ExPo last year. You going again Adam? I'm grounded this year, but next year I hope!

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the basket style Baja Rack & for the most part I'm happy with it, but the brackets they sent did not fit so they sent a new set of fronts. The new brackets did fit better but were over an inch too short in height. Frustrated by the poor fit I ended up making six new brackets myself & had them powder coated. The rack was also damaged in shipping! Luckily it was only a flesh wound & can still be used, but I'm still waiting for ANY reply about when I might expect a resolution.

So, over all I think it's a good rack & I really like the styling but they have some issues to work out, the most important (to me) is that they return my email! I bought mine from Wil at Sierra Expeditions- who I would absolutely use again! Great guy.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if JWest's was like mine, as mine was the very first LR3 specific Hannibal rack in the country. They included a large box of all stainless steel hardware.

Mine had nothing like that --- because it was spec'd for the Discovery II and was also the longest and widest rack. It came with very solid and fine enough to adjust mounts but they are specific to gutter mounting like on the Discovery, a G wagen, or anything with true gutter edge.

Therefor I had to come up with something entirely different. The reason I chose Yakima over Thule was simply due to the round bar allowing the roof angle to not cause tension in the interface. The LR3 roof is slightly rounded front to rear - unlike something like a Discovery gutter which is nearly flat front to back.

No matter what you do, adding a fairing up front really helps with wind noise.

I like the Hannibal dual jerry can mount and my 1650 Pelican fits just next to it allowing space in front of all that for the roof tent and keeps the heavier weight toward the middle of the vehicle too.

Someday.....it would be cool to have a place like Westfalia do a camper/pop-top conversion to the lr3 with heavy duty lifts so gear can still be on top.

jak167

Reaction score
nwoods

those Thule mounts looks great, but did you need to get bars too? Do you have the Thule part numbers for the mounts and/or bars? Also, if I already had the Land Rover brand towers and bars (came with truck) would those also work with the Hannibal Rack?

thx for your help

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doods with BajaRacks. Post up some larger photos please. I am in the market for a rack and am very interested in these guys.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods

those Thule mounts looks great, but did you need to get bars too? Do you have the Thule part numbers for the mounts and/or bars? Also, if I already had the Land Rover brand towers and bars (came with truck) would those also work with the Hannibal Rack?

thx for your help
Search this forum for my name and related terms. I posted it a awhile ago but don't remember it now (nwoods, Thule, Hannibal)

I don't think the OEM bars have much weight capacity?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM