Rubbing Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3HK

Reaction score
Hi all :hello:
I've recently purchased a 2006 LR3 SE 4.4ltr V8 with 17k miles on it ... it is a fantastic vehicle BUT I have a rubbing sound which is quite apparent when driving on the highway ... a colleague thinks it may be the Parking Brake that needs adjustment but I would appreciate any comments / input as to what you may think the problem is (I am taking it to the dealer Saturday so would like to have an idea so I can understand their diagnosis)
:help:

phurley

Reaction score
It probably is the EPB (which can make several different types of noises depending on what is wrong), but it might be something else.

Can you be more descriptive of the sound, its location and what you're doing when it happens? For example, is it a low-pitch hum/groan or mid-pitch whirr or high-pitch squeal? Is it predominately on the driver's or passenger's side (or doesn't vary)? Front or rear? Does it vary in pitch with engine speed or wheel speed (like can you hear it "wind down" when braking)? Having someone else help diagnose the source of sound can be really helpful.

Also, at your mileage, you should keep a close eye on your tire wear. There's a LR Tech Service Bulletin regarding "bush settling" of the suspension that causes uneven tire wear. Generally noticeable by 10~25k. LR TSB LA-204-008.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all :hello:
I've recently purchased a 2006 LR3 SE 4.4ltr V8 with 17k miles on it ... it is a fantastic vehicle BUT I have a rubbing sound which is quite apparent when driving on the highway ... a colleague thinks it may be the Parking Brake that needs adjustment but I would appreciate any comments / input as to what you may think the problem is (I am taking it to the dealer Saturday so would like to have an idea so I can understand their diagnosis)
:help:

LR3Hk,

Welcome to the family.

Sorry, but I have no idea what the noise could be. I have a couple of suggestions. One ask the service tech to take a test drive with you so you can recreate the noise. Second, you might want to look into getting an extended warranty. Your mileage is low but 4 years is coming up soon. Fordespwarranty.com has pretty good prices if the vehicle is under 3 years and 36k miles.

Good luck.

Pic

LR3HK

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input
I now have some information so I can understand what the dealer makes of the noise and should, for some reason, they not fix it sufficiently I can direct them further

The noise is a low pitched consistent rubbing noise that is a quiet repetative thud thud thud sort of sound .... I will also be changing the tyres so maybe this will also help

Will post a comment as to what the problem was once fixed

cheers

C

Chester

It sounds like the EPB emergency release cable is rubbing on the rear driveshaft. A very common problem. Probably the cable has become unattached from the retainer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9