Running Boards or Tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ygrowup

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting either running boards or running tubes on the LR3 to make it easier for my wife to get in and out.
Any opinions on which is better would be appreciated. Pics would be great as well.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the boards. Tubes don't allow for enough surface area for grip.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont like the look of running boards on the LR3, but to each is own. Just put it in access mode, I think that makes more of a difference

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on how you want your vehicle to look. Both options will probably work equally as well. (I have tube on my D1 for my short wife and 5 yr old daughter and it works great) I think running boards seem more refined and dare i say "classy" and tubes are more rugged. If its your wifes vehicle, she would probably prefer the running board look...my wife does. Unfortunately for my wife, its my car and I like to off road it and prefer the rough rugged look.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW...My 5'-2" tall wife and 5yr old have no problems getting in or out of my LR3 in access mode, normal mode is a little more work. I may need to make the decision soon...after I get my sensor rod mods, but if i do make the purchase, I've been eying the GN Vehicle protection slider step. SWEET

ygrowup

Reaction score
BTW...My 5'-2" tall wife and 5yr old have no problems getting in or out of my LR3 in access mode, normal mode is a little more work. I may need to make the decision soon...after I get my sensor rod mods, but if i do make the purchase, I've been eying the GN Vehicle protection slider step. SWEET

My wife is also 5"2" but my son is 15. And yes it is her LR3. We sold her Disco 6 years ago and she really missed it.

What are these GN Vehicle steps that you speak of?

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your LR3 Rimini red? Mine is, and it's not a color you see very often. I have seen it on RR's and a few Jags, but I haven't seen another Rimini red LR3 in person yet. I do really love the color. Anyways, heres a link, and theres a thread roaming around here about a group ladder buy from the same company. If you like them maybe we can get two sets thrown into the ladder buy and **** some shipping costs.

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk/d3step.htm

ygrowup

Reaction score
Is your LR3 Rimini red? Mine is, and it's not a color you see very often. I have seen it on RR's and a few Jags, but I haven't seen another Rimini red LR3 in person yet. I do really love the color. Anyways, heres a link, and theres a thread roaming around here about a group ladder buy from the same company. If you like them maybe we can get two sets thrown into the ladder buy and **** some shipping costs.

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk/d3step.htm

Yes the colour (color for my American friends .......lol) is Rimini red. I think the colour is the nicest looking. Our old Disco 1 was very similar (Roeha Red). Not sure about the spelling on that.

Those bars look cool but I think I like the running boards better.

As far as the ladder is concerned, I don't think we can split shipping as I am in Canada. Not really sure of the need for a ladder anyways. I am never going to climb up on the glass.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw some OEM Running Boards on eBay yesterday. Anyone know of they will work with the mud flaps or do the front flaps have to come off?

BJ

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There you go! Personal preference. I think both tubes or running boards work equally as well...Since you are in Canada, and I am quite familiar with the snow, having grown up in Wisconsin, the one problem or drawback with running boards I have found, is that snow and ice seem to build up or collect on them and the salt from the roads collects in the corners and along the length and needs a very thorough washing / rinsing to avoid major rust. Tubes are usually held on with brackets in a few locations and the snow and ice comes off easier and are simpler to rinse all around. Just my experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink