Runs Good Until It Warms Up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RICK MASON

Reaction score
Hi I Have 1997 Disco 4.0 Petrol 176000 Miles Runs Good Until It Warms Up Then It Starts Sputtering Will Not Go Past 20 Mph
Code Reader Reporting Misfire 3,4,7, I Just Bought It 2 Weeks Ago
I Replaced Plugs And Wires And Fuel Filter Did Not Help
Does Anyone Know What Is Wrong With It?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 just indicate the battery has been disconnected recently, the other 2 codes I can't find. I am going to lean towards a tired fuel pump. Does it stall, if so, is iot hard to start, if so, how long does it have to cool off to start?

RICK MASON

Reaction score
Hi Mike Sorry About 3,4,7, These Are The Cylinders That Are Misfiring
It Starts Every Time,and It Never Stalls Cold Or Hot! I Start It And Drive It For About 4 Miles Then It Starts Agian To Misfire You Can Here Backfiring, When Excelorating It Feels Like Very Little Power
IT IDLES GOOD WHEN COLD ,BUT WHEN WARM THE IDLE GOES UP SLIGHTLY!

Last edited:

GreyMatter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like a bad fuel pump...
im new to LR
if it was a VW i would say the in tank pump took a crap and the external pump is getting over worked/overheated.

the other thing it could be is a bad/cracked coilpack (again new to LR and dont know if they use coilpacks)

just start with the cheap fixes if you want to shotgun it...

clean the MAF, cause the higher idle after its warmed up sounds like a lean condition

RICK MASON

Reaction score
Yes The Rover Does Have A Coil Pack..i,ll Have To Take It Off To Inspect It . Can You Buy A Inexpenceive Fuel Pressure Gauge
To Check The Presure At The Fuel Rail?and Do You Know What The Pressure Specs At Idle Are ? I'm Waiting On Service Manual Cd Should Be Here In A Couple Days! Thanks

RICK MASON

Reaction score
Yea Thinks For The Info On The Manual .i'm Downloading It Now
I Think I Can Rule Out The Ignition System .by Spraying Fuel Into The
Plentium

RICK MASON

Reaction score
Yea The Spraying Gas Threw The Plentium I Think Was Bad Ideal
It Dyed Has Soon Has I Pulled The Maf Hose Off . I Did Manage To Shoot Some Gas Threw A Vacium Port It Didn't Seem To Make A Difference.
I Noticed Steam Coming Out Of The Vaulve Cover Port When I Disconnected The Hose.any Sugestions?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Also do a leak down test with the fuel pressure gauge... if you don't have one, it is cheaper to buy one then to pay the repair mechanic to do the job..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635