Sand Tires / EAS lift - Stunning difference!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know most on the forum do not use the Discos in the desert, but I just had to share my experience. My last trip was a couple months back on the stock 19" Contis. It actually performed surprisingly well and I never once got stuck. I did want to have more rubber to protect the wheels, so I went with the Compomotive wheels and Nitto Dune Grappler tires.

The difference in the tires are like night and day. The Contis did perform admirably, but accelleration in the sand was definitly a looser and and more "floaty" experience. They went just fine, but you could feel a lot of wheel spin and disconnected contact with the ground. The Dune Grapplers were crazy good. Aired down to 18 psi, they just felt considerably more bite. Accelleration would actually push you back into the seats and the truck would just pull all day long!! At one point, I had the sunroof open enjoying the nice desert winter sun and gassed the Disco hard up a dune. The tires bit so much that I ended up rooster tailing all 4 tires and showered my interior with a fine coating of sand like an idiot! lol It was still a crazy fun day out.

I also used the IID Tool for the first time offroad. SO very simple and easy to use and no screwing around with lift rods. I was able to simply dial in about 48mm (1.89 inches) in the fronts and 50mm (1.97 inches) in the rears. Saved to a custom profile for the next trip out. Takes all of 30 seconds to program / restore. I cant imagine life without one of these devices or at least some lift rods. There's plenty of places where the dunes will level out and you easily drive higher speeds than the stock system will allow, forcing the truck into "normal" height. It's brutal on the compressors to force it to raise over and over again. I highly recommend one of these alternatives.

Overall, it was a great day out. I can't wait to do it again. I have more pics I will post soon, but here is the only one I have downloaded so far:

*EDIT NOTE* The truck was lowered to access mode in this pic to unload beach gear.

Attachments

• Disco sand.jpg
    Disco sand.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more shots from the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG-20140106-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20140106-WA0006.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20140106-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20140106-WA0007.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20140106-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20140106-WA0000.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 52

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more shots from the weekend.
Hey surfrider77,

Awesome photos and great information. I think you picked the best set up for your terrain. I know what you mean about tires making a difference between night and day. I still can't believe the difference between my Coopers and BFGs - very evident.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, the IIDTool is pretty awesome. It's pricey, but you get so much capability.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surfrider, in the second set of pictures are you standing on top of your roof glass? Is it that strong?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah! I am not that crazy! I was standing on the metal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM