Seafoam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

Does anyone have a picture of where to put the Seafoam into the intake of a 95 Disco I? I have a 99 D2 and it is obviously not the same.

Thanks in advance,

D

discomike

Beau,
Are you in the states, if you want to call me I will walk you through the process.
Mike J.
805-896-1550

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beau - while i still think that BG and 3M making much better product for that... Seeing i got 94, and they should be same:

open hood.
standing at right side of it look at the plenum. there is air line that goes off from behind throttle plate and joins by plastic T-piece with line that goess off to the top of crankcase breather , and shorty S-tubing that goes to the bottom of plenum.

You just need to remove and of thise first line that hoooked up to T-pice, rotate it slightly upwards and then, with engine running start slowly and methodically putting your cleaner into it.

This is generic method.

However there is another place that somehow keep getting forgotten - its that one S-tubing - it actually trying to suck in lots of air and last time i did cleaning few weeks ago - i decided to spray some of that 3M cleaner in there - and it apparently helped :)

Word of advice - if you go with suggested amounts of Seafoam - dont shut down truck even after you drove with that stuff in it. Some of it will still remain and it may cause very bad first start (symptoms of drowned engine). Let it at least idle for about 30 mins...

D

discomike

Beau,
There is a trick to putting any liquid into the the engine. If your allow too much in you will stall the engine and can throw a code. Also I must disagree with Gergei this time on not shutting off the engine.
The instructions on the can, for any of these products, tells you to shut it off for at lwast 30 minutes, that gives the additive time to penatrate the carbon. Yes, it will be a little hard to start, not a problem, and boy will it smoke like hell untill you run it out of the engine, usually 5 to 10 minutes depending on how crapped up your engine is.
Good luck.
Mike J.

C

campbell

Thanks for the info.
Yeah Mike, I am in Tennessee. I may be giving you a call.
This is my brother-in-laws D1. It barely idles, but runs pretty good at highway speeds. It stalls out and has a very hard time starting. He has changed plugs, wires, distributer, fuel filter, ect. He is coming into town today and I am giong to try to get the thing running smoother. It may not be getting enough air at idle. What is the stepper motor and it's significance? Could this be the problem? His service engine light is also on, so we will be getting those codes read.

Thanks,

D

discomike

Beau,
Call me when he gets there and maybe we can make his truck run a little better.
Mike J.

C

campbell

Thanks Mike...
I really appreciate the over the phone help.
After the Seafoam the vehicle starts better than my 99 D2. It fires up in a split second. I think once he gets home and has some more time he will look into the stepper motor and the trumpets you were referring too.
Again, thanks for the help,
Beau

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
IMHO Mike J is one of the greatest assets to the Land Rover Community. In fact, if I recall correctly I remember a certain member of another site, losing his cool (name will be withheld) and calling people stupid for not knowing where to ingest SeaFoam on a Disco. Thanks Mike for being such a great help !! I think I might try some SeaFoam too while I am out working on the Beast today.
Melissa

D

discomike

Beau,
Glad to have helped.
Melissa What can I say.
Mike J.

M

montanablur

I have to back Rover Chic up on that one... I have learned more about my Rover over the past weeks reading Mike's posts than any manual or mechanic yet...

Thanks Mike...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72