seat belt tensioner - SRS airbag light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had a red airbag light on in the dash.
Had the code read at 2 places - both say the driver seatbelt tensioner. They are saying it is the buckle part, which apparently compresses/tightens during an impact.

$250 for the part, $50 labor.

Anyone had this problem as well? Any insights?

They are going to replace it while it is in getting new lower control arms.
BTW - I'm into replacing the lower front control arms for $750 (includes new arms at $223 a piece, labor, and alignment). That sounds about right?

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No takers, then?

No one has had an airbag light that points to the code : "Driver's Seatbelt Tensioner"?

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JackMac - thanks!

I forget to go over and check that board out. Those links had some great info.

We checked all of the wires/connections under the seat, and they seemed OK. So, we reset the codes to see if it pops up again - it hasn't, yet. I'm hoping fiddling with the wires may solve it and the light doesn't come back!

geoellis

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my '05 LR3. Trouble codes are showing a bad passenger seatbelt tensioner with repair cost of $400. The ironic thing is that just prior to the light appearing I had a tall driver move the driver's seat back pretty far. Could this also be a connector issue?

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still think it was some sort of a connector issue as well....as my wife and I have very different seating positions...but, after much investigation, all wires and connectors seemed fine. Finally replaced it, and haven't had a problem since (it was replaced about 9 months ago).

rchase

Reaction score
this definitely has something to do with the moving of the seat. I moved my seat ALL the way foreword at the car wash when I was vacuuming my car, when I left I noticed the light went on. So the next time I was at the car wash (like 2 days later) I moved the seat all the way foreword and kind of fumbled with the wires and vacuumed under the seat again, the second I stared the car the light was off.... Don't know what I did but it definitely has something to do with the wires under the seat.

seneyhunter

Reaction score
air bag light ...

I have a 2005 LR3. I've had this same problem for the last 3 years ... The dealer diagnosed it several years ago, exactly as the author of this thread indicated, but the dealer quoted a price to fix of $600. I just couldn't believe the proposed resolution was the fix and I opted to stew on it ...

After researching several other related Landroverforum.com threads, I disconnected the black connector under the driver seat (front of driver seat near the door, note that there is another posting that shows this connector, and it's very easy to locate and access) and then reconnected it. This immediately forced the air bag "light" to always stay on when i started the car ( the problem was intermittent for years) ... So I disconnected the connector once again and took a "needle" and bent the two female contacts within the connector so that they were "tighter" and reconnected the connector ... Turned the car on, no more air bag light ... And it has remained off now for weeks.

A person could perform this fix in 5-10 minutes ... Once again, the dealer wanted $600 ...

Over the years I've surely benefited from everyone's landroverforum posts. I figured I should do my part ... This is my first trouble resolution posting.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM