"Service Required" message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but when I start the truck I get a "Service Required" message on the dash for a few seconds and then it goes away. No other lights displayed and no error or fault messages. Is this simply part of the general service interval? Because this is popping up 9,000km too soon from the last service in August 2014.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but when I start the truck I get a "Service Required" message on the dash for a few seconds and then it goes away. No other lights displayed and no error or fault messages. Is this simply part of the general service interval? Because this is popping up 9,000km too soon from the last service in August 2014.

It is a general reminder. Is your 9KM based in actual service?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes up based on time or mileage - just general service (oil change, etc.). It starts to remind you a while before.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer forgot to reset mine on my last $200 oil change. haha. I need to just get the iid tool and DIY my oil changes... sigh

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer forgot to reset mine on my last $200 oil change. haha. I need to just get the iid tool and DIY my oil changes... sigh
That seems to be a common trend among dealerships. My first (free) service was last year and they forgot to reset the reminder - twice! I had the IIDTool and almost used it, but they were really apologetic and owed me later. :)

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems to be a common trend among dealerships. My first (free) service was last year and they forgot to reset the reminder - twice! I had the IIDTool and almost used it, but they were really apologetic and owed me later. :)

My dealer wanted an extra $65 to reset it (1/2 of labor) since the reset is only "included" in the more expensive service (consisting of oil change plus "checking" 25 other things that they would otherwise check as part of their "complimentary inspection"). Told them no thanks (mostly on principle), and that the constant service reminder is also a reminder to take the car somewhere else for future service.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
I had the same issue after my first service on the car. Dealership fixed it. Tech said that it is a problem with the cars -- not that the tech forgets but that the system keeps showing the service alert even after the tech resets it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I figured the last tech probably forgot to reset it.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are your service interval requirements the same as ours here in North America? It is every 12 months or 15K miles here in the US, but I understand in some countries where average temperatures would be considered "arduous conditions" by Land Rover (e.g. the Middle East) or where diesel engines are sold the service interval is cut in half, every 6 months or 7500 miles. In that case, your message may make sense - if you were last serviced in August of last year, you are about due for a routine oil change again, regardless of how few miles you put on the odometer since then.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it is every 6 months here but I think it is dealer greed. They will not honor the warranty unless you stick to their prescribed services every 6 months. You also can not do your own servicing (oil, brakes, etc) without them voiding your warranty.

It's quite the scam they have going on.

(Only 1 LR dealer in country, owned by one Qatari Sheikh)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM