Short Roof Rail - Install Help Needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I was able to pick up a set of used short roof rails off eBay for what I think is a heck of a deal as ordering a set of new ones is in the $300+ range and I was told by my local dealer they no longer offer them in black as an accessory and I wanted black ones.

That being said the ones I ordered had some missing mounting hardware and I need to figure out what is necessary to get these mounted. Can anyone help me out and tell me what is needed?

I have looked at the install process for the extended rails and it looks like there is a bolt, a washer and a spacer. My concern is getting the correct spacer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern is getting the correct spacer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So, I had a similar issue with a set of extended rails I bought from the dealer. They were missing a few bolts and a few spacers. I tried going to my local Lowe's and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find the correct bolts and spacers. I ended up having the dealership take the hardware from another set they had in stock and give that to me. They really went out of their way to help get me the right hardware, which was awesome. Sorry I couldn't offer any actual suggestions, but it might be a tough road to find the right stuff.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I had a similar issue with a set of extended rails I bought from the dealer. They were missing a few bolts and a few spacers. I tried going to my local Lowe's and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find the correct bolts and spacers. I ended up having the dealership take the hardware from another set they had in stock and give that to me. They really went out of their way to help get me the right hardware, which was awesome. Sorry I couldn't offer any actual suggestions, but it might be a tough road to find the right stuff.

Well, I will update my thread here with my findings as I have managed to search for a while today and find a Russian website that happens to be a catalog by picture of part numbers. This has managed to narrow down my search for what I need to mount the rails to a couple part numbers.

I have found a couple websites to order them from here in the US, plus reached out to a member on this forum and if these don't pan out I will reach out to my dealership as they have been super helpful so far and if nothing else maybe they can order it for me. They should be able to.

If I need the parts that are on the high end of the prices I have seen then I will still have gotten the rails for about 45% of retail. If it is on the cheaper end then I will have completed this project for about 34% of the retail price. Overall I think it's a win.

The rails are set to be delivered on Thursday and other than mounting hardware all I might have to do is hit them with a can of Black Glossy Paint as the description said they were slightly faded. Will have to wait and see.

Last item I have not been able to find is a set of instructions. I think they follow closely to the Extended Roof Rail instructions but I am not 100% sure at this time. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Last edited:

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a PDF of the short roof rail instructions. PM me with your email address, and I'll send them your way.

I installed my short roof rails, and found this video to be helpful, even though it's for the long rails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7AMmIrxA8

My other piece of advice is on cutting your trim pieces down to size. I used a reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade (essentially a sawzall). I sprayed the trim at the cut line (and the blade) with WD-40 before and during the cut. That lubrication REALLY helped.

Also, be careful pulling the plugs on the trim. The rubberization on the trim is easy to damage. I'd practice on the plugs that are on the throw-away part of the trim. I believe you'll retain 2 plugs on the existing trim, and those are the ones you don't want to butcher.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a PDF of the short roof rail instructions. PM me with your email address, and I'll send them your way.

I installed my short roof rails, and found this video to be helpful, even though it's for the long rails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7AMmIrxA8

My other piece of advice is on cutting your trim pieces down to size. I used a reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade (essentially a sawzall). I sprayed the trim at the cut line (and the blade) with WD-40 before and during the cut. That lubrication REALLY helped.

Also, be careful pulling the plugs on the trim. The rubberization on the trim is easy to damage. I'd practice on the plugs that are on the throw-away part of the trim. I believe you'll retain 2 plugs on the existing trim, and those are the ones you don't want to butcher.

This is great information. I PM'd you my e-mail.

I have also watched this video multiple times to try and make sure how they did the install vs what it looks like is left in pictures from the short rail install. Plus they flashed the short rails in the beginning for a moment.

Have not yet decided how I am going to cut the rails down. I think in the video they didn't lubricate anything, but good call out.

I ordered the little rivet pulling tool the other day online to try and help with pulling the plastic rivets. I was actually contemplating cutting the trim with it on the vehicle. Lay down a towel and use a little Dremel tool or something to cut through it. Then I don't have to find another plastic rivet to replace for that front plug.

I do plan on doing a full write-up with pictures of the install so I will document everything I do.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To cut my trim, I used a hacksaw and put a 2x4 behind it so it didn't bend or get a bad cut when I got down to the very end. Worked pretty well. Thinking back, a little wd-40 wouldn't have been a terrible idea as the blade got stuck a few times.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99