Sidewall Punture Advice - Really...a new tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a small screw in the side of my LR3's relatively new Avon 18" rear tire. I plugged it and had a shop patch the inside but they advised my it could "blow any time" as the sidewall area goes through a lot of flex. The hole was pretty small and the patch was pretty big from what I saw but nonetheless I want my family to be safe.

Opinions on the real risk of a patched sidewall puncture? I will be replacing this week regardless to err on the side of caution.

As a side note, in my youth I had a Datsun 510 that I plugged and only plugged tons of tire puncture holes over its life...at one point 4 plugs in the tire and she never had a blowout. But that was when I was young and stupid.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've plugged tons of tires over the years, and never have had a failure. Then again, I never drove off road with most of them.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a small screw in the side of my LR3's relatively new Avon 18" rear tire. I plugged it and had a shop patch the inside but they advised my it could "blow any time" as the sidewall area goes through a lot of flex. The hole was pretty small and the patch was pretty big from what I saw but nonetheless I want my family to be safe.

For what it's worth the local shops around here (I'm up in Canada) will not repair a sidewall puncture - nor a puncture on the tread within 1 inch of the side wall.... not sure if they're just trying to sell more tires, but it seems pretty standard across the few places I've tried...

Last edited:

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 month after buying my new coopers i got a nail the sidewall. i had spent 3 days offroading and the tires had done exceptional with no damage, but on the 3 hour drive home i got a nail in the tire! i had it replaced. i think there is too much risk patching these, especially given the weight of the car and the amount of stress those sidewalls endure while turning and offroading. also, the tire warranties are well worth the money. i spent $85 for my warranty and already got a free $165 tire.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never plug or patch a side wall puncture because of the flex from the sidewall that will cause the repair to fail
Buy a new tire.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the weigh in...just to note, the hole was right up on the shoulder of the tread creeping towards the actual sidewall. Regardless....had the mobile tire guy come out and put a new Kumho on. I also found out my full size spare didnt have TPS...sigh now I got one tire on teh rig with no monitoring.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635