Skid Plates...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....question for those who have the (Rasta) skid plates on their rigs:

How hard is the install?

Is drilling required?

Can a couple hand wrench-turning DIY's do the install job?

I'm only interested in the gearbox and transfer case skids; so these questions are aimed at their particular install.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Another question; on one of the websites showing the installation instructions, the verbiage intimates that these skids "replace" the existing underbody protection. What is the scoop on that? Do these skids go places where there is previously no protection or are they just replacing what's there with something more beefy and/or slick?

Last edited:

DJLVA

Reaction score
I just received a group buy email from Rasta:
Sill protectors $380 regular $455
Full underbody kit, Bumper, engine, radiator,gear and transfer skids. $970.
Ask for Dorel

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi DJLVA, what is the contact info? Is there a number to call (and ask for Dorel)?

I'm not interested at all in the radiator guard or under-bumper guard...is there a chance to get a comparable rate without buying the entire set of skids?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are very easy to install, no drilling required. I've had to take mine off half a dozen times now (and put them back on) related to vehicle service (finally got all new bushings and control arms, whoohoo!). It takes me about 15 minutes now, and I do it by myself with a rolling floor jack.

I replaced all the relatively soft factory allen head bolts with Grade 8 - 17mm hex headed bolts, which makes life a bit easier, and they do not loosen up like the originals frequently did.

The plate under the engine replaces the factory skid plate. It uses existing mounting locations and it's very simple to install.

The plate under the transfer case (the most rearward plate) is a bit more difficult because it's big and awkward, and has two connections that are tucked into the cross member of the frame that have to line up just right.

On my truck, this plate contacts the resonator component of the exhaust system, so it makes a helacious racket. I now use small stacks of stainless steel washers to provide that extra 1/4" of clearance needed. It's really hard to get the spacers in place while threading the bolts from below, so I tape them on in place BEFORE crawling under the truck.

I balance the plate on the floor jacket (actually on a short 2x4 on the head of the floor jack, crank it up into position, attach the front first (loosely), then work my way aft. For the rearward most two bolts, I use a headlamp and both hands, one with the bolt, one with the long bracket that goes into the crossmember and wiggle the bracket around until I see it through the bolt holes then carefully thread it in. It takes a deft touch, or a bit of luck, but it is very doable though you may need to take a deep breath or two and calm down after the first few tries :)

SAFETY: I use heavy duty vehicle ramps or jack stands to lift the truck enough to work on it underneath. DO NOT PUT IT IN OFF ROAD MODE and hope for the best. Darwin's rules apply.

PRACTICALITY: I LOVE my front under bumper plate. It has taken the most abuse of any item on my car. I HIGHLY recommend it unless you have the factory winch tray or the Mantec plate.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, I finally took your recommendation and purchased Rasta front skid plate but having hard time to install it.

There are only two pieces and felt kind of dumb that I still haven''t figured it out :hmpf:

2ufulx0.jpg

So, small piece should go somewhere so it can hold weight of front part of the skid plate but where??? I don't have to drill holes or do I?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya do not put it in off road mode the vehicles height will change it has on me so you are running a big risk to just crawl under your vehicle in off road height even with it off
DO NOT DO IT!!!! I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN UNDER THE VEHICLE. I was changing the height sensors on the front.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have the skid plate but it looks like the small piece should bolt in the front I would assume and the skid plate bolts onto the small pice the 4 holes on the small piece should line right up with the front holes on your plastic guard. Look at your plastic guard and where it goes up nd hole location the spacing looks identical to my factory plastic but I dont have it right in front of me

josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front skid plate...

I have all the Rasta skid plates but my front plate would not fit due to the winch. I called and they confirmed that you cannot install this one if you have a winch. Oh well.

I'll post some pics once I take some more photos...I just installed the Urban Offroad rack and 4 Hella compact xenon lamps - it's pretty amazing.

-Josh

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I managed to find space for that small metal piece but it still doesn't make sense. Here is manual (?) it comes with:

2lxf3wl.jpg

The part I cannot understand is # 7. It says attach it to chassis but there is no place to attach them???
Also, according to the manual, that pin looking thing comes from bottom.
Shouldn't it be installed from top? What's the purpose of it?

I am really confused...:confused:

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, I was just curious if you ever got your steering knock/rattle fixed by having put in those new bushings and control arms. Mine still knocks even after steering column being replaced (both upper and lower), under warranty, but not as much as before. Sorry Houm, didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72