Skid Plates...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, I was just curious if you ever got your steering knock/rattle fixed by having put in those new bushings and control arms. Mine still knocks even after steering column being replaced (both upper and lower), under warranty, but not as much as before. Sorry Houm, didn't mean to hijack the thread...

I have replaced the steering column bushings, the upper and lower control arms and bushings on both sides of the front, the swaybar connections and bushings front and rear (both sides each), and one halfshaft (front drivers side). Clunking has gone away, but it took 18 months of persistence with 3 different dealers to have it all done.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, I finally took your recommendation and purchased Rasta front skid plate but having hard time to install it.

There are only two pieces and felt kind of dumb that I still haven''t figured it out

So, small piece should go somewhere so it can hold weight of front part of the skid plate but where??? I don't have to drill holes or do I?

Here are some images that might help, sorry for the crappy quality, was nearly shooting in infared to use available (very little) light.

rasta_skid-front-01.gif

rasta_skid-front-02.gif

rasta_skid-front-03.gif

rasta_skid-front-04.gif

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The little flexible rubber dam thingy stays where it is, does not need modification. You will also note that I am using 10mm Grade 8 bolts instead of the relatively flimsy hex headed bolts that come with the plates.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I need to re-acquire this thread!

Nathan, thanks for the insight...but I have to ask for one point of clarification: Does the Transfer Case Skid replace a factory unit or is the T-case exposed without it?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to ask for one point of clarification: Does the Transfer Case Skid replace a factory unit or is the T-case exposed without it?
It is my recollection that the transfer case is exposed, though in the many off road situations I have led an LR3 through, I don't recall it ever being a real vulnerability. Gas tanks are another story.....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I know it's tucked up there pretty good but I thought it was exposed as well. The gas tank has some protection, doesn't it? I'm gathering that the thin metal plate around the gas tank simply isn't adequate....from what you and other posters have said on this forum.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I know it's tucked up there pretty good but I thought it was exposed as well. The gas tank has some protection, doesn't it? I'm gathering that the thin metal plate around the gas tank simply isn't adequate....from what you and other posters have said on this forum.

I'm on my third gas tank now due to the paper thin flimsyness of the OEM skid plate that holds the gas tank up into position. By far the most expensive work I've had to do to my truck since the day I bought it.

HighCountry 4x4 in Colorado is rumored to have made a gas tank skid for the LR3, as well as Rover Specialties, but I have not seen either one yet.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...I knew it was flimsy but didn't think it would be SO inadequate. Had to have been some pretty sharp rocks!!!

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HighCountry 4x4 in Colorado is rumored to have made a gas tank skid for the LR3, as well as Rover Specialties, but I have not seen either one yet.
This gallery has the Hi-Country T-case and gas tank skids. They're not on the web site yet - I'm not sure why, but call or email them for details & availability.

http://grendel.smugmug.com/gallery/6013404_bqJNP#376008378_9GiNc

My LR3 will also be at Flatirons Land Rover in Colorado this Saturday, if anyone wants to see them in person.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the transfer case plate, but had not seen the gas plate. That looks pretty sleek and smooth. I will have to give Matt a call. The sliders got a good workout on Poughkeepsie as did the transfer case plate in late August.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo