Skid Plates...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack...

I just installed Rasta 4x4 front skid plate. I tried part # 7 as seen in the manual but it simply doesn't work so I installed it without part # 7 per nwoods recommendation. Also used better bolts per nwoods recommendation (again). Works perfectly and looks clean. Thanks nwoods!

hijack over.

Last edited:

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im about to buy one of these... the front plate... lost my plastic one somewhere in travels... anyone have any new thoughts on this product?

so skip the rivets?

Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skid Plates!

Hello all,

I just bought an 05 LR3 and had everything the G4 has installed on my Rover except the snorkle (wasn't sure it really did anything except look cool). I guess my question is, I am also looking at the Rasta underbody protection and was wondering if the factory front end skid plate (already bought and installed) was as good or better than the Rasta? Bought the truck two weeks ago and only got it from the dealer late last night (the Wrangler MTR tires take a while to get). Anxious to get it out next weekend and see what it can really do. Praying for snow.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all you are going to be really happy with what it can do. Second, I didn't get that skid and I'm on the fence about it. I know that the plastic one is sort of crummy...but I'm just not sure I need it...yet. Plus it's really expensive for being such a small, simple skid (compared to the others).

I am VERY HAPPY with the other Rasta products and their customer service is superb.

Trynian

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bought an 05 LR3 and had everything the G4 has installed on my Rover except the snorkle (wasn't sure it really did anything except look cool). I guess my question is, I am also looking at the Rasta underbody protection and was wondering if the factory front end skid plate (already bought and installed) was as good or better than the Rasta? Bought the truck two weeks ago and only got it from the dealer late last night (the Wrangler MTR tires take a while to get). Anxious to get it out next weekend and see what it can really do. Praying for snow.

If you have the factory winch and skid plate, stick with that. It is just as good or better. I don't think the Rasta under bumper plate will work anyway with the factory winch.

If you are talking about the rasta under body plate that goes right under the engine, it will not work without major alteration if you have the factory winch and factory front skid. It only covers a slight bit more area then the stock metal plate that is already there.

The transfer/gearbox plate will work ok and is a worthy investment.

The raised air intake helps keep water out if you are traveling in deeper water. It also has a pre air filter that allow less dust to get in and clog your other air filter.

Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So what you are saying is that snorkle is actually worth while?

Trynian

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So what you are saying is that snorkle is actually worth while?

If you you are planning a lot of offroad driving in very dusty areas and fording streams and such. Sure.

But you also have to drill holes in your fender to mount it so I would weigh it to how much and what type of offroading you are actually going to do.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you you are planning a lot of offroad driving in very dusty areas and fording streams and such. Sure.

But you also have to drill holes in your fender to mount it so I would weigh it to how much and what type of offroading you are actually going to do.

Thanks for the help.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It does three things:
1. It significantly reduces the amount of dust drawn into the air intake when wheeling in a caravan on dusty trails. This is its primary purpose.
2. It offers some protection against swamping the aircleaner/intake system with water. If you stall in the middle of deep water, it will fill with water, but if you maintain steerageway, it does a good job keeping the water out. I've been momentarily windshield deep (bow wave way anyway), and was fine.
3. It draws attention like nothing else can. I get more double takes, pointers, stares, and lookylue's at the snorkle than anything else. This is not neccessarily a good thing, but it did get me out of a speeding ticket once :)

Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to the forums and have a stupid question. What is this Roverito that shows up under my name when I post. I went and looked and don't see that I have entered that anywhere. Not really pertinent to the thread but didn't really no where else to ask.

Thanks,
Trevor

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo