Soft Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a '96 Discovery SD with a 5spd manual trans. Everything seems to be in good order on this truck but the brakes seem VERY soft. The owner (private sale) tells me he just replaced the pads and seemed puzzled that I thought they were soft. Keep in mind I have no experience with land rovers - I've had Jeeps all my life, but I don't play into the whole "this one thing is better then this other thing" game. - anyway so back to brakes - Thinking that maybe, "well thats just the way they are" I went to drive the first other one I could find to take a test drive on - ended up being a 99, which I know is a different style then the 96 I'm looking at - but the brakes were also very soft. The dealer told me that was normal.

So my question - whats the deal? Are the brakes usually really soft? It feels like they need to be bled, but maybe its just a low-effort braking system?

Thanks,
-Jim

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my pads about a month ago, and mine are quite soft as well. - I can't tell you if it's normal, but it's what I experience.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are somewhat soft too but I've never driven another disco to compare. I just thought that was b/c mine was used and I have no idea how many miles are on this set of pads.

Last edited:

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't call it soft, just smooth. Yea, sometimes I wondered if it was going to stop, but it always did. Same thing w/the power. Being used to the abrupt power of an "American V8", @ first I was dissapointed w/the Rover, but now realize the smoothness of the engine/trans combo mask the performance to the extent that you wonder if you are moving @ all. Just check the speedometer, you are. Thank You, LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. as person who owns XTerra as second truck i am keep being not very happy with brakes on Disco. X has awesome braking - it can stop from 60 to 0 on 5-6 feet path easy. But then i am keep reminding myself that
- riding brakes is bad anyway
- Disco is quite heavier
- travel path of pedals in Discovery is (and i am not kidding) longer
- Disco got coil suspension and if i will stop too abruptly i am risking one of those "bubble head" action :)

I got slotted/drilled rotors and EBC "green stuff" pads btw.

Right now my travel path to get stopped from about 60m/h to 0 (previous weekend been tested by deer) is about 10 meters (not pedal to metal though. I had passengers). Thats with additional weight of rack and bumper, 4.75 gearing and 235x85x16 tyres. So not really bad, i'd say. On steep climbs while wheeling, when i have to backup it sometime feels pretty scary as truck dragging itself back down so pedal has to be pushed pretty much to the floor.

All that said: if its feels too spongy - you may consider flushing brake liquid and replacing it with synthetic one (lower water absorbing, higher boiling temp). For 96 it shall be done by now at least 4 times (recommended in manual as every 2 yr procedure).

D

discomike

A half an hour and 2 pints of brake fluid, I used synthetic, and you will loose a hugh portion of the soft pedal. Our trucks are too heavy and the brakes too small, makes for burnt brake fluid which is spungie.
Mike J.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
synthetic brake fluid, break the brakes

Disco Mike, been told over the last 5 years with dealers and forums to only use standard brake fluid in the 95 D1. I run in all my motorcycles, Nortons, BMW's, 68 F 250 silicone brake fluid only. To flush thru with silicone is bad in my book unless you rebuild wheel and master cylinder and start fresh. Question , any bad results from running silicone fluid in Rovers? Thinking ahead as the ABS light went from on/off to on all the time after reseating one rear sender. I may have other problems, the pump was replaced under extended warranty two years ago, not it i hope, big $$$$. Carl. Did i send photos on my pre-oiler? Carl......................o&o>.................

D

discomike

Carl,
Thanks for the feed back, I can see on an older truck how it might be too much of a change, maybe. I have done this on a 96 Disco with no problems and great improvment.
You have to do what you feel is right for you and your truck. If it has been over 20,000 miles I always suggest a brake fluid change on any vehicle to improve the brake pedal responce.
Good luck,
Mike

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brake fluid to use (not)

mike, i've beem running silicone in the 68 truck the last 10 years, the newer rubber cups and hoses are compatable with the fluid. But on my 56 300 Mercedes Benz the cups and hoses became swollen, brake drag and the hose lines closed up to prevent fluid to return on brake release. It depends on when and what type of rubber parts you use. Carl............o&o>..............

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM