Soft Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, long time, no post.

THANK YOU for this post, I had been wondering the same thing since I bought my Disco last spring. I have replaced the master cylinder (I had been told by a LR mechanic that the master was leaking into the booster), and replaced all the fluid in the process. The brakes are still as soft as ever. Now I've got anther brake problem, but that's another post.....

Summer

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm that Disco brakes tend to be soft/smooth, My wife usually drives the disco and the first stop light she came to while driving my quad cab, she put our dog in my lap...however seconds earlier the dog had been sleeping in the back seat, and the dog weighs about 40lbs. :) so I guess the breaks on the dodge were a little tighter.

D

discomike

Summer,
Usually when the master cylinder starts to leak into the booster, the booster is also replaced because the brake fluid will destroy the rubber diapgram ths cause a vacuum leak and loss of power portion of the brakes.
Synthetis brake fluid works a little better, especially when hot, less softness. Replacing the rubber brake hose at the wheels with stainless steel line gives a firmer pedal.
So what is your other brake problem??
Mike J.

T

tkcomp

Interesting topic guys.

I have been wondering the same thing about my brakes being soft. I was assuming the vehicle weight to brake ratio was higher so not to worry. When I apply the brakes hard it will stop no problem, but in traffic it just seems like the pedal is almost to the floor. One thing I noticed is if I get on the accelerator I seem to have more break pedal. Just my imagination? Is there some connection?

Maybe at 13,000 miles I just need to change the break fluid.

Tom

D

discomike

Tom,
You hit it pretty close I believe, our Rovers are pretty heavy and our brakes are undersized. You would think slightly larger rotors and calipers were too expensive to includr on a top line vehicle.
It is normal, and has been for quite some time, I have tried different pads and rotors and have improved my braking some, but low end braking is still only OK at best. I run BDA slotted and drilled rotors with kevlar pads, synthetic fluid and stailless steel brake lines.
All you can do is live with it and be exceptant.
Take care,
Mike J.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with soft brakes, do the brakes on your LR's make a soft gshhh sound when the pedal is depressed, similar to the door opening sound in Scifi tv shows? Is this normal?

D

discomike

No, that is not normal and is usually caused from a vacuum leak in the booster assembly. That will only get worse and you will loose the power side of the brakes.
Mike J.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for coming to my rescue again. So now I'm pricing boosters....Are these relatively safe buying used, as in E-bay, or Car Cannibal? They look like they are no more difficult to install than a master cylinder, which means I can probably do it. Anbody have previous experience putting in a booster?

D

discomike

I would think that if you can find one from a salvage yard, that was guaranted, you would be in pretty good shape. They are pretty easy to install.
Good luck,
Mike J.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, looks like I have been using the word "booster" when I should be using the word "vacuum servo unit"?

D'ya think I might have a vacuum leak in the servo? (this has been a real education). I took my truck in for a freebie brake inspection at a place I trust, and all they said they don't do the electronics portion, or ABS. They suggested going to the dealer for a check.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM