Stalls after being driven for 20mins, wont start back up until it cools down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smalltownhound

Reaction score
Ok, so... this little bugger is really starting to chap me. I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II with about 130,000 miles on it. I have had it for about a year and have slowly been updating it. I recently replaced the plugs (with the Iridium ones) and replaced the wires (with the Magnacore 8mm's), re-plumbed the whole cooling system, cleaned out the throttle body and well... I really take care of the Rove and with all of the other recommendations that I have been learning here I felt I was doing a good job.

Yesterday while driving home about a mile from home I felt the Rover surge a bit and then it continued driving fine. About a few seconds later (about a half mile) later it completely shut down. I tried to start it and it wouldn't completely turn over to start (it does turn over fine though, just no start). I decided to just walk home and wait it out. I came back about 30mins later and tried to start it and it started back up fine. I was worried so I went into town and purchased a OBD II scanner in hopes that maybe it was throwing codes (the service engine soon came on, but it normally does when the key is on the on position and its not started). I hooked it up and no code issues. I decided I would give it the "ol college try" so I drove it to work this morning. It was fine until about a mile from work (odd how that worked) and it completely stalled on me again. I haven't went back out to try to start it but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will start again.

Now, I have read some other posts with similar issues... but I have a hard time buying parts that I don’t need.

I do put Premium gas in her, in fact the last fill up I used the Shell Premium.

Anyone have any advice or information that you could give me? I would really appreciate it!

smalltownhound

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I have read and heard from others that may be the issue as well. I have one coming from Indiana and it should be to me tomorrow. I will be sure to let you know if that was the issue, but I would agree.

Thanks again! : O)

smalltownhound

Reaction score
Well, I made it to work today after replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. So... just a few words of advice. If you can drive your Rover for 10-20 mins then stalls, then wait for about an hour runs and stall out again after 10-20 mins it could be your Crankshaft Position Sensor. It wasn't easy to put in, but it really wasn't that hard either.

RGL2MGBGT

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have 2002 Disco that died at a stop sign as if I shut it off. I was thinking fuel pump. I don't have any trouble codes. She has 111000 miles and I have owned it for 4 years and 35000 miles without any problems.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the annoying problems with GEMS is that it needs a set amount of drive cycles to let you know that a component has failed which is all well and good if you have a part/sensor that is slowly dying (such as an O2 sensor on its way 'south') but if you have the rapid onset or catastrophic failure of a critical sensor, such as your CPS, then you are SOL - as there may not have been enough drive cycles to set the needed warning code. In some odd cases, such as I have recently experienced, the sensor in question may set-off a somewhat barely related code which makes you look elsewhere when in fact your IAC/stepper motor, for example, is on its way to the sensor graveyard. (i.e., my malfunctioning IAC/stepper motor started throwing the occasional P1179 code at me and, of course, I started hunting for a vacuum leak which I never found; finally, the stepper motor packed-it-in entirely making a normal start-up of the engine impossible).

This is all part of the magic and mystique of the voodoo world known as Land Rover electronics; enjoy and savour the tender moments when all you really want to do is shoot the damned thing with 00 buck and put it out of your misery.:wink:

miked2805

Reaction score
Had the same issues and replaced the CPS. Did it without moving the exhaust. the connector proved to be the hardest part but all in all it was no prob. thanks for posting this. it saved me a ton of research.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM