Starters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Cozmo

Anyone have a recomendation for a non Land Rover starter for the DII.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard that "Mean Green" makes starters for LR's, but I have also heard poor things about there customer service.... so I guess it can go either way. I know when I do need one, that is the route I am planning.

D

discomike

The Mean Green is a good product, but as Joey has mentioned, their service leave something to be desired.
Why don't you take out your starter and have a local starter/electrical shop just rebuild it, it is alot cheaper and at least you will know what you are getting.
Mike J.

A

antichrist

If you want your starter to last longer, increase the cable size going to it from the battery (idealy convert to Carol vu-tron cable) and make sure you have a good ground, best running from a mounting stud to the same place the batter grounds.

Tom Rowe
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in
places even more inaccessible.

C

Cozmo

The last word on my starter. No it didn't need replaced or rebuilt, just cleaned. You should have seen the crap that had been sucked up in there. All is well now. Here's a chance to learn from my mistakes. After fitting the starter and test starting it I was so excited it was running I forgot to disconnect the battery before I finished putting thing back together. The shower of sparks when I was moving the heat sheild in to place was very pretty.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the starter looks like as ive just replaced the battery and still it i am having problems... some times it starts sometimes just click click click... Are there any instructions on how to swap this out? Is it hard to do?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Starter is on the passenger side (NAS model) near the bottom of the engine. Kind of big, long and roundish.

Not to hard to change, just remember to disconnect the battery before you start, then have it tested to prove your theory. Most Auto Parts stores will test it for free.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The starter should be under a heat sheild. Towards the back of the engine under the right hand exhaust head. Two bolts hold it together the one under is real easy to get to the one on top you'll need a long extention because you have to get it from just behind the radiator. That is the only place where you can get a tool to turn. Remember you'll need a long long extention.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4