Starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again my land rover has starting problems, it will crank but wont start, one thing that works to fix this is moving around the wires for the spark plugs, and also moving around the wires for the starter it self, this works 99% of the time, I know that the spark plugs are like 4 years old, and i dont know about the started but it looks like the original, I have replaced wires for the spark plugs numerous times, and im just really clue less. The car is with my mother now, so if something goes wrong I cant take care of it, until i come visit, so if you guys could give me any help to get rid of this old problem that be swell :smile:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are moving wires and it works 99% of the time I would say possible bad ground/earth. At 4 years on the plugs, I would look into replacing those as well though.

Thanks in my thought.

D

discomike

Matt,
What is the year and model, how many miles on it and is there a check engine light on?????
It won't be the starter cause it is turning over, and I really doubt it has anything to do with the plug wires.
I bet your looking more at a sensor, or fuel related. Does it only happen after it has been driven and then sat for awhile?
Mike J.

S

Screehopper

I had similar starting problems about four months ago. It would crank, but that was it. I bought a new fuel pump and changed it in the parking lot and got my rig back up and running. Could also check the fuel pump relay.

S

Screehopper

Oh I just remembered, also check the fuel pump wire connector which is near the rear driver side wheel well.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not the fuel pump, i got that replaced 2 months ago ( lol ) its a 95' disco series I 82k miles, it happenes at random. Im a daily driver, just one in a while it does this, I also had a fuel sensor replaced for the rough idle problem I had before and stalling on highway. What im considering now is getting BOSCH Platinum +4 spark plugs, and a K & N air filter. I dont know weather this will fix the problem, but at least it might improve it =/

D

discomike

Matt,
Don't worry about replacing your plugs with the Bosh plugs, they are really good, I run them, but your current plugs aren't causing your starting problems. Same with the K&N filter, they are good and only add benefit to the engine under load above 2500 RPM's. You realy need to look at the sensors, have you looked at the fuel pump relay, they will over heat and fail when hot, run when cold.
Where are you located?
Mike J.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far far away.. In the jungle of new york city. Where would i find this relay?

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
On my 1998 4.0 the Relay is found near the ECM right above the charcoal canister ( the thing that looks like a huge coffee can located on the passenger side of the engine). We have different engines (3.9 vs 4.0) though so yours might be different. You should see wires ect ect .. I would still check your pump. I had a *bad* pump after three weeks burned wire that was not getting fuel to the engine. Good Luck.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad pump? Burned wire? Mellisa, what happened? If it was the Pump that was the issue, let me know and I will scream, holler and yell at Bob and get that fix yesterday.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM