Starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things to check

Miliant-Grunt, does this condition happen when the motor is hot as a 20 minute later restart? Do you have spark when this happens? Mr. Lucas strikes again? The amplifier module is known to crap out when hot, hell it's mounted on the dizzy. Do you have fuel rail pressure app. 41 pounds when it screws up? Poke a meter probe into any 2 injector leads to see if injectors getting a signal when cranking. The Rover motor with distributor is easy to repair vs the Gems motor (4.0- 96) up. Do some testing and report, Carl........o&o>........
95 Disco 5-speed 4.6 litre

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its usually on a cold start, or after a few hours of not using the car.. Im going to take her to a shop to figure out what it is..

A

angelgrace58

Did you ever find your cold start problem. I have a simular problem. Have to hold gas peddle down to start which you shouldn't have to. Can you help me?

A

angelgrace58

Do you have any guesses why I have to hold the gas peddle down to cold start when manual says not to touch peddle?

V

vandermeulen

When I had this problem, it was intermittent to start then got progressively worse.

Check the connector at the pump as well as the wheel well.

Mine looked good upon first inspection then it turned out one of the ground connections on the connector at the pump was a little corroded. It didn't look like it from gazing at it from the end but it turns out the connector wasn't seating all the way in and was losing proper connection, resulting in no start issues. (turns over but wouldn't catch).

I cleaned all the pins on the connector then tie wrapped the connector tightly to the pump and I haven't had the problem since.

( but.....for safety sake I bought a used pump and connector from a scrap yard and I keep it in the back ....just in case...lol)

S

sledmaker

Hard starting Discovery

One thing I found on my 99 4.0 was some loose intake manifold bolts. Some were tight as they should be, but others needed almost 2 full turns to tighten. The car starts reliably now.

By the way, the actual pump inside the fuel pump assembly is the same as a 94 GMC Yukon and is available at AutoZone for $56, including a new filter screen. It is easy to replace, too.

I just replaced an exploded fan, and as usual I wonder to myself "what the hell were they thinking?"

Good luck, all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM