Steering Wheel Peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 V8 SE (took possession 12/04) has recently developed some leather peeling on the left side of the steering wheel, where I keep my left hand while driving. The leather surface is pulled back in places, lumped up in odd-stringy pieces, and sticky. The entire damaged section is about 1.25 inches wide and 2-3 inches tall.

Oddly enough, the right side of the steering wheel is not even worn.

I am thinking this is heat/sun related.

Has this happened to anyone else?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not yet, but I've had it happen on other cars in the past. In most cases, probably sun/heat and "wear." Cleaning and treating all leather surfaces regularly can prevent it.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 50k miles, I am starting to see some of that. Just cleaned it and treated it with Land Rover conditioner (I think it is thick Lexol) and it has helped a lot. Wish I had taken better care miles ago.

Warning to everyone....clean and treat the steering wheel leather regularly!

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty. Do a search. Defective steering wheel cover.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel is peeling also. I read on another LR3 forum that this is something that is happening, and the person described his dealer putting in a new steering wheel altogether. Next time I have service I'm going to push for that. Anyone else have success in getting a new steering wheel? Thanks!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are under warranty... it may be covered (unless it's clear abuse) as pre-mature wear. Well, at least that's what happens to most of the makes I'm aware of. Anyway, take care of your leather surfaces... you won't be under warranty forever.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll ask the dealer about coverage under warranty. The thing that troubles me is that I have cleaned and conditioned the steering wheel (and all leather surfaces) rather religiously.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue... got a new Steering Wheel. Its called delamination of the Steering Wheel.

T

threeputt

me too, replaced under warranty last month.....'05 LR3 HSE

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink