Steering Wheel Peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone anywhere near the midwest get there's replaced under warranty? Can you tell me where? I think I need to go on a roadtrip to get mine covered.
Thanks

wiliamsshek

Reaction score
I have a car which is 1.5 years old and i am looking to sell it and buy another one. I want to know if i have to do up my car before selling it, or can i sell it in the same condition?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried my second dealership about the wheel, no go. I'm wondering if mine is as bad as everyone else's. To me, it seems like the outer layer is literally dissolving. If I drive with my hand on that spot, it gets sticky and soft, even leaving my palm prints embedded on the wheel.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you try GR they took care of mine no questiona

C

Chester

Tried my second dealership about the wheel, no go. I'm wondering if mine is as bad as everyone else's. To me, it seems like the outer layer is literally dissolving. If I drive with my hand on that spot, it gets sticky and soft, even leaving my palm prints embedded on the wheel.

Go back to the dealer and tell them you almost had an accident because your hands stuck to the wheel. See the service manager if need be.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was replaced. I will say that no cleaner or treatment will prevent the leather from de-laminating. If you have a bad wheel you have a bad wheel. Skin oils, UV, heat will eventually take it's toll on what was a poorly designed product from the get go. The replacement wheel the dealer installed has a totally different grain to it and feels like it's a better quality product.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had mine replaced under warranty. I simply said that if I leave my hand in one place for too long little pieces of it come off in my hand. The service rep said she would see if LR would replace it, and they did. Although they wouldn't replace an armrest where the stitching had come undone.

At any rate, I would want them to tell me the real reason it wasn't covered, especially when there is a TSB regarding the matter.

Good Luck

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USAF, there's actually a TSB?? Could you point me to it please? The second dealership took my name and said he'd talk to the LR service rep, but he is the same one that 'services' the first dealership so I'm guessing it's a no go. It really is frustrating, the manager said it looked like it was 'scraped' where there are a few pits where the leather has disappeared. I said so other people have had a delaminating steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position, but it just so happens that I sit in my car and 'scrape' mine in the same place?
DRZ, I haven't tried grand rapids yet, it's a couple hours away. I've got a call into the service manager. Chester, I like your idea, but I've complained so much to my dealership they'd know I was full of it - and I'm not a particularly strong actor lol.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
349du36.jpg

For the record, did your wheel(s) look about like this? It's not really the look or feel that's annoying, but the stickiness. Not to mention what it will be like in another couple years.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks just like mine did. dosent look to bad but feels aufull

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax