Strange misfire problem?? HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U

Unruely

Well to update this now... I have changed back to a new OEM cap and rotor button, the plug wires are Autolite premium wires, I also changed the coil to a MSD Blaster High vibration coil.. still no change!!!!! I have discovered that when it does this, if I let off the throttle for a second it will correct itself, sometimes I must do this once or twice, maybe 3 times before it will "reset" itself??? I'm just not certain where to go next?? A sensor perhaps... but which one?? I hate to just go and spend the big bucks replacing sensors if that is not the problem....

Martin

U

Unruely

Well a fuel filter change didn't help, still the same. I have noticed when it acts up, it sounds like I can hear it backfire thru the intake? kinda of a popping sound from the engine compartment?? I will be doing some testing of the fuel pump this weekend, I hope to get it to act up while I have the gage attached. I will also be seeing if the pressure bleeds off when sitting.. It isn't showing any codes either at the moment...

Martin

U

Unruely

I hooked up a pressure gage to the fuel rail and let it run. The pressure stayed at around 32psi, even when it started to act up... The pressure held constant on the gage after letting it sit for a couple of hours, so it doesn't look like anything is bleeding back off..This leads me away from the fuel pump as the problem. If I let it continue to idle for a couple of minutes after it starts acting up, it will usually correct itself. I am going to go back thru all the vacuum hoses checking for leaks as soon as the weather warms up. I hate to think, but I may have to take it to the dealer... The last thing I want to do.... It is back to throwing the code 46. I am begining to suspect the O2 sensor on that side..

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

wozza

Reaction score
Hi, my 94 Disco has this exact same problem. It's intermittent so its hard to know what could be causing this. I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering what was found to be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't talked to Martin in a while... not sure what he found. I only got a chance to help him on site a little, and unfortunately it got dark pretty quick.

darnelld1

Reaction score
hello, 2003 d-2 with 93,000 miles has the same exact problem. took it to dealer and they suggested the plugs, wires, cats, and 02. changed plugs, wires, mass air sensor, all o2 sensors, cats, coil packs, belt and tensions, air filter, seafoam treatment, and still stutters but only after vehicle warms up. runs good besides that and the SES light is on. going to change the vehicle speed sensor but cant find it. dealer faxed diagram but still cant find it. and also has funny smell coming from the exhaust.

Last edited:

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D-2s do not have a VSS, so stop looking. Did the dealership check the fuel pressure?

darnelld1

Reaction score
no dealer did not check fuel pressure. called dealer back after reading several post that said it did not have a VSS. thats when parts manager sent me a diagram. file to large to attach here but can email it to you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The D2 does have a VSS, just not the same type as a D1... the D1 is vacuum controlled, the D2 is more of a drive shaft/wheel speed sensor. It does not cause the same issues as a bad VSS on a D1.

If you have a bad smell coming from the exhaust that sounds like a bad CAT, or too much fuel being dumped into the CAT.

I would say fuel issue of some sort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM