stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clydon

Reaction score
driving home from christmas with the family yesterday i ran into some car troubles. at first it was only happening around 70 MPH, the car would lose power for a second or two and kind of stutter or shake a little. i continued to drive the 50 or so miles home and it was continues off and on but when i got close to home it got much worse and would run normally for a few seconds then would lose power and shudder then run normally and so on. anyone have this happen? i'm hoping this isn't a big deal, i live on an island and left my car on the mainland so i'm hoping when i go get it i don't find out its a major problem.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the sticky posted by Moose says:

Please ask away, but be sure to include:
Vehicle year
Vehicle series (i.e., 1999 Discoveries could have been Series I or II; there are gigantic differences between RRC, P38A, and "new" Range Rovers)
Mileage
Any modifications that are mechanical in nature
For example, if you have a grinding sound from underneath, please realize it's helpful to know that you have a Detroit locker under there!

Since you did not mention what year your Disco is, the door is wide open for possible causes of the stuttering problem (VSS, CSS, plugs, wires, fuel pump, ect. ect.
Please specify your type of Disco and any warning lights you currently have. Also, if you can get your fault codes read from the ECU it would help greatly. Quite a few major auto parts stores will read your codes for free if you do not have a code reader. Good Luck!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a D1.. then I would say VSS.

If it is a D2.. I would check plugs, wires, and fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

tonylowson

Reaction score
Im starting to have the same problem in my 02 discovery,only its happening right at 35 mph..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
On the D2, the transmission is not controlled by vacuum, so it does not have the same time of VSS as the D1... Not sure excactly what the issue is on the D2.... I will have to check on that.

tonylowson

Reaction score
found out the problem wasnt the tires as i thought,
turns out i had a busted u joint,thats what was causing the vibration
in the steering column

clydon

Reaction score
it is a 1997 disco, thought it might be bad gas... put in some dry gas and it ran ok on the highway for about a half hour then started to lose power again. what is the VSS?

clydon

Reaction score
and i need to replace my o2 sensors, just failed emissions but havent had any problems until the other day

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a 1997 disco, thought it might be bad gas... put in some dry gas and it ran ok on the highway for about a half hour then started to lose power again. what is the VSS?

Vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
The vehicle speed sensor (or transducer) is located on the side of the Transfer box near the parking brake. The sensor provides road speed data to the ECM to pevent surges. The ECM detects vehicle movement from the road speed input and ensures that idle air control mode is disengaged. If the VSS fails, the ECM idle air control acts erratic, in turn the engine loses power. A new one costs about $90. Hope this helps:smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak