Stuttering for 20 seconds after decelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nickpankovas

Thanks all, much appreciated. VSS must be worth a try. I'll let you know how I get on (could take a while as I probably have to get one shipped in).

M

mbooth2

I agree! The VSS is designed to make the odd cylinders misfire if its readings don't match the tachometer/speedometer. It is an easy fix, it may even just need a good cleaning. Definitely worth a try! The SeaFoam is also a good suggestion......... I am currently trying the same solutions to the same problem for my 96 disco. Keep us posted on the outcome.........it is a common problem with few definite solutions. Is the truck throwing any OBDII codes or "CHECK ENGINE" lights yet? Any combination of P0301, P0303, P0305, or P0307 would be odd cylinder misfires possibly linked to the VSS. These will probably accompany a P0300, P1313 or P1316 which are general misfire codes.

N

nickpankovas

I drove around without the VSS for a while, the only difference I noticed was that the speedo didn't work. I got the new VSS in after a long wait for delivery. Unfortunately no noticeable difference. Anyhow at least it's eliminated that.
There doesn't seem to be a OBD in my Disco, perhaps it's something fitted in North America only? The vehicle has now also had a major dealer service. Plugs changed, some leads changed, fuel filter changed etc. I tried STP fuel injector treatment also (don't seem to have seafoam over here).

If I ever find out what's causing this thing I'll let you know.

D

discomike

Nick,
I agree with Jeff, one way to detect a bad VSS is by down shifting into 3rd. I think this is your next step. Once that is corrected you should consider some serious tune related items because of your mileage.
Mike J.
99 DII

96discovery

Where is the VSS located, and how simple is the removal and install of a new one?

Rich

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VSS is located between the transmission pan and transfercase, on the passenger side of the vehicle (NAS). Removal is easy, with a 3/16 hex drive and a ratchet with extensions. There is a square drive that has to properly refitted for the replacement to function correctly.

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a misfire to me. I would go with the seafoam. It is the cheapest thing to do. I wouldn't think that the t-box would be causing this.

N

nickpankovas

Thanks all, seems to be solved !!

I took it to the dealers. They did not suspect the t-box at all so that seems to have been total BS from the non-dealer garage.

The dealers reckoned it could be 'sticking' valves and recommended that they 'lubricate' the valves first with some kind of treatment (sorry don't know what) to see if that works. Maybe it's something similar to your seafoam (but we can't get that over here). Anyway, it has been fine for the past week with the problem entirely gone. They say that if it returns, they'd have to do some work on the valves.

My total bill came to around $150 and that included a 90,000 km service so I'm well happy. I will try and find out exactly what they did. It's runnning beautifully now with none of those 'misfiring' problems.

C

capthook

Yeah, Land Rover uses and is supposed to add 'fuel system conditioner' to your gas tank every 10k service to avoid the Valve stick problem. This stuff that is basically valve / injector cleaner , you drop into your gas tank but I haven't had any luck from it it's just for avoiding the problem. You can find the stuff @ expeditionexchange.com - https://www.expeditionexchange.com/genuine/ If you want to fix the problem, I would do the SeaFoam treatment if I were you, it gets all that gunk out. Then never take it to those guys again, recently I had a garage here in Sacramento try to quote me over $800 to drop my friggin' oil pan. I figured out the problem myself, LoL

from ee:

" Most all North American Specification Land Rovers suffer from sticky valves. To combat this problem, Land Rover formulated the Fuel System Conditioner. Simply pour the Fuel System Conditioner into your gas tank at every oil change and it will go a long way toward preventing sticky valves in your engine. Your Land Rover Dealership probably puts the Fuel System Conditioner in your vehicle as a matter of course every time it services your vehicle. We have reliable reports from techs at several different Land Rover dealerships that this Fuel System Conditioner has drastically reduced the warranty work for sticky valves on customers' vehicles."

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nickpankovas

Thanks for that information! Very interesting.

I checked with Seafoam, they don't have any distributors over here in the UAE. Can anybody recommend alternatives from Wynns, STP etc? We seem to only have those over here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM