Succesful Temp Repair of punctured Air Spring...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now many of you may wonder why but I'll explain.
In the event of a trail side puncture again I decided to try and repair my old air spring. To do so I removed the the strut assembly and seperated the shock and air spring. Since I knew where the hole was I cleaned it up really well and repaired it with a bicycle tube repair patch. For the repair in the Aluminum sleave I cut a thin piece of Aluminum and duct taped it in place. (This is to prevent further damaged through the hole) I let it sit over night and reinstalled it about a week ago to try it out. So far I have driven around the city a couple of times hitting *** holes to check the integrity. Amazingly it is holding. Knowing what I now know I could have repaired this trail side and gotten out with zero damage. (Although the damage I did get is just minor dents and scraps on the undercarriage) The strut can be removed in about 30 mins with the proper tools on hand. I think a patch kit will stay in my tool box now!!! This type of repair will likely only work on a puncture type failure, I would'nt count on repairing a rotten one. I'll drive it around a couple more days and reinstall the replacement strut this weekend... Sorry but I didn't take any pictures.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that Ryan. Very interesting!

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, would you mind posting your recommended tool and repair kit contents? Thanks!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, would you mind posting your recommended tool and repair kit contents? Thanks!

Tools:
Box Wrench 7mm-22mm
Ratcheting Box Wrench 10mm,13mm,15mm
Sockets 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive
Various Screw drivers
Various Pliers, cutters, crimpers
Quality Digital Volt/Ohm Meter
Faultmate MSV2.

Spares for me (These are things I would carry on a week long remote type trip)
I do not have all of these but am working up to it.
Spare front & rear spring bladder
Starter
Alternator
Air compressor & probably a drier (especially if it's 4yrs old and older)

On a weeklong trip I usually rent a SAT phone too. I plan to retrun home under my own power no matter what may happen. Unfortunately this does take up space and add weight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90