Suspenion Height?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think the height is of this for a 98 disco. Medium Duty Omu coils with oem specs Bilsteins shocks. Truck seems to be the slightly higher than the the height of worn out suspenion(coils,shocks that was on it). Asking cause I put on 2" block coil spacers from Rovers North. Les that works in the parts/service dept. said that I should be fine as long as I'm not doing any extreme heavy off roading. He said the rear end can bottom out if so. Far as "casual driving/light greenlaning should be fine. What do you guys think. Do you think that I'm over 3" and need drive shaft work. Little test drive yesterday gonna take it out for a real test drive later. It also have a arb bumper, sliders, roof rack, tjm rear bumper. Thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, you never install spacers when you have the original warn out suspension, all you are going to land up with is a more top heavy vehicle, more prone to rolling over on or off the road, so what he quoted you was wrong.
If you are wanting to lift the truck, get rid of the weak factory coils, replacing them with either the OME or RTE coils and OME HD shocks. The ride will be many time better and your truck will have a more controlled ride.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The medium duty springs will give you about 1 inch, so with the spacers you are about 2 to 2.5 inch...

Keep in mind All rovers are a little different, so some will cause issues with a 2 inch lift and other will not have issues with a 3 inch lift. It all depends on how the suspension geometry was set at the factory.

With that said. I am not a huge fan of spacers, but if you do not plan to do major off roading you should be fine. Keep in mind most people who say they will not do major off roading end up doing it or trying it at least once...

Also with all the weight you have on your Disco you are best case 2 inches over factory with the spacers, if that much. I know my 97 with HD OME springs and my custom front bumper and RTE sliders with Nerf bars and all the weight I have in the back for tools or snacks... I am not even close to 2 inch lift that was there before installing all my stuff.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Hey Mike you read it wrong. I have new suspension coils and shocks. I was just comparing the height difference between new and old.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I did read it wrong.
What sort of wheeling do you do? Another option would be a body lift, giving you additional height with out the possible need of drive line or brake line changes.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moderate trails forest roads, railroad roads. The spacers was free from a guy on the disco web. Try it out if not what I like I get rid of them.

Last edited:

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took it out for about an hour. Ride is a lot stiffer(no problem). Took it on the freeway little top heavy feel not nothing scary. Over bumps no bottoming out just stiff in the rear. Do you guys think that its from the springs being compressed? I can say that I'm happy with the out come. Gonna try and take some pics when the heavy rain clears up. As always thanks guys

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
probably normal... but also if you put standard shocks on you want to make sure you are not over extending them.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true Joey gonna keep an eye on them. Probably go with the OMU

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The OME (Old Man Emu) www.oldmanemu.com will soften the ride up a little as well... I run Bilstien's (about time to change them) and they stiffen the ride a little bit more, but helps with the top heavy feel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM