T44 rock sliders - Test fitting (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, the drain hole on mine is way too small for even a small hose to be effective, maybe a 1/4" in diameter, tops. You might have better luck spraying water through the slit between rear lip of the slider and rear wheel well liner (which yields a little if you push it), enough water should flow under the compressor that way to move things around and dislodge some of the dirt... But a couple of larger drain holes on the tray would probably work a lot better without compromising the strength of the plate. I even thought about drilling them myself.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tactical 4x4 still offer the most protection, but they are heavy. I have had Voyager and Urban Offroad and they are more sill guards. My Tactical sliders definitely have saved me.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will seriously consider these eventually. I am only slightly concerned about the weight. And I would like to here a bit more extended experience by some folks with the latest LR4 and needing to work around the compressor. I like the somewhat more subdued look and the protection. But I also don't want to have to "mess around" with them as you all seem more than willing to do. ;-)

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also getting the T44 sliders and will post up my experience. Planning on a week long excursion through Oregon in June with the LR4. Should get a good test there.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the T44 sliders for about a year and they are great, but if you have a 2012+ you do need to relocate the compressor with their supplied bracket. The stock bracket is a chunk of aluminum and the new bracket is steel. For anyone getting these sliders, I would say it is important to get some good adhesive foam or rubber to apply anywhere that articulates with the truck. These are NOT bolted to the side, they are truly bolted to the frame with 2 large bolts and 4 smaller bolts. If you do not apply some foam/rubber, you will get annoying creaking when you accelerate and stop. It has happened to everyone I know who has these sliders, but it is also very easy to remedy.

There are some holes to wash out debris, but I think (and Umberto described this in another thread) you should drop them every once in a while (depending on your off roading) and clean them out, they can get some mud/debris to settle where the compressor sits and cause increased vibration. As for the compressor, there is plenty of air circulation, the rear is actually pretty exposed, which doesn't seem to affect it at all. I did put some foam in that area to protect it a bit more and it works well. I can always take photos, and for El Solis, I can show you in person. Since you raise up the compressor and leave the stock plastic cover on top (the bottom is removed), it does resonate sound more and you will hear the compressor running from inside the cabin. It's not bad at all, but it is noticeable.

These slides are very heavy and you will feel the weight in certain situations - especially if you add more of T44's skid plates (gas or transfer case). The other nice thing about these sliders, because they attach to the frame, you can use them as jacking points, the square nerf bars fit a Hi Lift or other jack perfectly.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions.

Regards, David

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also getting the T44 sliders and will post up my experience. Planning on a week long excursion through Oregon in June with the LR4. Should get a good test there.

So where are you headed in Oregon? I grew up in Eugene. Spent a lot of time in the Cascades. Vacationed in Bend a number of times (almost bought a place there.) I love Oregon!

Pic 1 - Lunch along the Coquille River near Bandon
Pic 2 - Camping along the side of Philips Lake near Baker City
Pic 3 - 3 Sisters from Hwy 20 between Bend and Sisters

Attachments

• IMG_0347 (1).jpg
    IMG_0347 (1).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00345.jpg
    DSC00345.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 51

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are going to do the discovery trail. Haven't picked which sections yet. It will be the Northern California Land Rover club trip.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Had T44 rock sliders for almost 1.5 years.
They are heavy but this is a price you pay for great protection.
My first mode was rock sliders and I don't remember feeling extra weight. I felt it once I added 5 compomotive wheels with BFG TA KO. After a day or two of driving I forgot about extra weight. The V8 took this extra pounds easily. Then iI added asfir sump guard and T44 transfer case and fuel tank plates. This time did not notice any extra weight. The truck just drive fine for me. Is not as quick as stock V 8 LR4 but still has a good acceleration. No problems with breaking either.
At 19,000 miles I had to replace rear break pads.
David's truck is a heavy weight champion so he is the best person to talk to about extra weight.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
For those who installed rubber sound insulator with the T44 sliders -- wondering if you could share diameters, sources, and/or any related recommendations.

I am about to install the sliders and just saw the suggestions to ad rubber so thought I would reach out.

Thanks in advance for any assist!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Weatherseal-type foam adhesive tape found at a local automotive store, I think it was about an inch wide and maybe a 1/4 to 1/2" thick (the foam will obviously compress as you tighten the various bolts under the vehicle), and applied a single strip to every edge of the slider that could make contact with the chassis - about 40' or so should do it. The tape usually comes in 10' bags and is inexpensive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72