T44 rock sliders - Test fitting (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the two body mounts, what are the other "6" mounting points? Just curious. The TF aluminum ones use both side and top of sill points. I'm pulling them off and going T44.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the two body mounts, what are the other "6" mounting points? Just curious. The TF aluminum ones use both side and top of sill points. I'm pulling them off and going T44.
There are 2 body mounts and then 6 additional mounts that utilize stock holes in what looks like the frame or underbody. I would highly recommend putting some good rubber on the lip of the slider that articulates with the body, otherwise you will get creaking upon acceleration. It's very easy to see the small lip (it's not the entire slider) that actually rubs the body. I did not put any rubber and had lots of creaking (as did most others). You will see what I mean when you get the sliders. I did this and it's dead quiet!!!

I believe you have a newer model LR4, so you will use the bracket that T44 provides to lift the compressor. It's not hard, but a very tight space. If you want to insulate the compressor you can (the top cover stays on - you basically just remove the bottom cover), as you will likely hear the compressor much more once it's lifted.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, are those the topside sill mounts or the bottom side? I ask because I have a couple of "frozen" bolts and it will determine how I choose to free them.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom side. Anything on the top side needs to be removed as well (including those pesky yellow plastic push pins that snap on the factory molding along the sill), as the sliders won't fit properly otherwise.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom side. Anything on the top side needs to be removed as well (including those pesky yellow plastic push pins that snap on the factory molding along the sill), as the sliders won't fit properly otherwise.
There are only bottom mounts - right? Other sliders seem to bolt into the sides mostly, but the T44 sliders bolt completely underneath.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only bottom mounts - right? Other sliders seem to bolt into the sides mostly, but the T44 sliders bolt completely underneath.

Yep, that's what I meant by "bottom side", sorry if it wasn't clear. Bottom only, 2 main body mounts and 6 smaller bolts to the bottom of the frame rail.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After off-roading out here in the south west and hitting Moab this past weekend, I'm considering adding some rock sliders. Even though careful wheel placement has been key to not needing them until now, I have a feeling that moment may be getting closer.

It seems that the general consensus is that the Tactical 4x4 ones are the way to go.

I believe that I have read that you need to install foam in order for them not to squeak... How does it handle fording water? Do they provide the foam?
I've had to replace my air compressor a while ago and have the new design that requires relocation in order to fit the sliders. How much additional work is this? How easy or difficult is it to accomplish?
Overall how many hours does it take to do the install?
Also do you recommend the nerf bars?

As anyone considered going the Prospeed (UK) route?

Thank you

Axel

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After off-roading out here in the south west and hitting Moab this past weekend, I'm considering adding some rock sliders. Even though careful wheel placement has been key to not needing them until now, I have a feeling that moment may be getting closer.

It seems that the general consensus is that the Terrafirma ones are the way to go.

I believe that I have read that you need to install foam in order for them not to squeak... How does it handle fording water? Do they provide the foam?
I've had to replace my air compressor a while ago and have the new design that requires relocation in order to fit the sliders. How much additional work is this? How easy or difficult is it to accomplish?
Overall how many hours does it take to do the install?
Also do you recommend the nerf bars?

As anyone considered going the Prospeed (UK) route?

Thank you

Axel
Hi Axel,

I think you mean Tactical 4x4? They are not hard to install, but you will need to lift the compressor. Tactical supplies you with a bracket which works fine. The only issue (and it's not a big deal to me) is that the compressor is closer to the floor boards and is quite a bit loader when it runs. As for the install, it's likely just 2-3 hours or so. I do recommend putting heavy foam/rubber anywhere that the slider touches the body or you will have creaking (which is annoying). These sliders offer great protection, but are quite heavy. Expect some MPG loss and you may feel the extra weight when going around corners, etc.

As for nerf bars, they only protrude a little and have not been an issue at all. I would go with it, as they actually provide a bit more protection. I have a lot of scrapes on mine that saved me a few times. Plus, you can use them as a jacking point.

Let me know it you have any questions. I have seen the ProSpeed, but again, I don't think they offer the level or protection of the Tactical 4x4.

Regards, David

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM