T44 rock sliders - Test fitting (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my daily driver too, lots of miles. I've had her for just over 4 months and I have over 10K miles on her already.

WOW! How far do you commute in a day? Now that I am biking to work I put on about 10-30 miles a week (on the weekend).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The commute is about 50 miles round trip, but I do visit customers all over L.A. and O.C. daily, so double that number, plus the weekends trips... I'm a 30K miles / year, easy. My factory warranty will be up in a little over a year. I have over 200K miles on my semi-retired 2006 Sport.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The commute is about 50 miles round trip, but I do visit customers all over L.A. and O.C. daily, so double that number, plus the weekends trips... I'm a 30K miles / year, easy. My factory warranty will be up in a little over a year. I have over 200K miles on my semi-retired 2006 Sport.
That's a lot of driving, but great to hear about your 2006 RRS and the 200+ thousand miles - awesome!

Will you get an extended warranty?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Umberto,
Thanks for your great post. Finally I had my T44 rock sliders and compressor bracket installed on my 2013 LR4.
I love the product. Nice, high quality and "Made in USA".
I asked you before regarding the noise and you replied that you did not noticed anything.
I am afraid that my installation is not right. I can hear and feel noise reverberating in the cabin. Very noticeable and annoying. I noticed that black plastic cover which is on the top of the compressor can be easily moved I think this transmits the vibration. I took some pictures ( squeezed my cell phone camera between the left rear wheel and compressor) . Do you have any pictures after your installation from that perspective??
Another " problem" is a gap (about 4 mm) between my left rock sliders and the car when you open the door and look at the slider from above. On the right side my rock slider looks almost flashed, no gap.
Could you take a look at yours let me know .
Thanks. Left rock slider 1.jpg

Left rock slider 2.jpg

Right rock slider.jpg

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like I am having a problem uploading more then one picture.
This is the compressor picture I mentioned about in my reply. Anyway, I will have to visit my installer on Monday.

Attachments

• Compressor's cover and foam.jpg
    Compressor's cover and foam.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 53

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLB, I haven't experienced either of those issues. Although I am pretty sure my compressor upper cover is hanging loose up there as well (only the lower one was removed), I get no vibrations from the area at all. Even when the compressor is running, it appears as quiet as before, if not quieter... Also, both LH and RH slider sill panels stay flush against the body on my install, something definitely looks slightly off in yours.

However...

In the past 2-3 weeks my car has developed an increasingly louder creak or squeal when I accelerate from a standstill or brake to a stop. It seems to be generating from the fuel tank area, like there is friction against it somewhere. I have dropped the RH slider in my garage as a test, and the noise has disappeared, so it's definitely the culprit. Bolts appear to be tight and the noise wasn't present for a long time after install, so I am at a bit of a loss to identify the reasons for the noise, which has become quite annoying. I will have the Tactical boys take a look in a couple of weeks.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto thanks for the info. I am in touch with Eric via e-mail and he is trying to help me with this. I sent him few pictures on Saturday and he promptly replied the same day. What a great costumer service from Tactical 4x4. He could wait till Monday since they are closed over the weekends.
He requested some more pictures so I sent him few more emails today and waiting for the answer.
BTW, I think I figured out the reason of noisy compressor. It looks like the bracket is in contact with the slider and this transmits vibrations.
I just hope that the gap and compressor noise can be fixed with just repositioning of the sliders.
I am very impressed with built quality of T44. Thinking about adding some more underbody protection from Tactical 4X4 in the future .

These are photos on which it looks like the bracket is in contact with the slider.

Attachments

• IMG_20130609_100153.jpg
    IMG_20130609_100153.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20130609_100322.jpg
    IMG_20130609_100322.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 44

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is definitely clearance between my sliders and the compressor bracket, no contact. Given the sliders design, I am more inclined to think that the compressor bracket in yours wasn't installed properly. Either the top bolt wasn't tightened all the way (it's real hard to reach with the compressor in place) and the front end of the bracket hangs low as a result, or they need to loosen all bolts and push the bracket up a little - the holes for the 3 bolts on the T44 bracket do allow for some vertical play, as you can see from my photos.

Keep us posted!

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally after some corrections my left rock slider and compressor bracket do not touch and the left slider is positioned closer to the car.
No vibrations after correction.
I think I can hear the compressor a little more than before sliders were installed but this is not a big deal.
The gap between left rock slider and the car is almost gone. The fit is not exactly the same like on the right side but close enough.
Eric from Tactical Rovers was great. We exchanged multiple e-mails over the last weekend. He looked at all the pictures I sent to him and provided his feedback. On Monday after I had my left slider/ bracket corrected we talked shortly over the phone.
If anyone is thinking about getting rock sliders this is the product you should get. High quality, great fit and finish, extra underbody protection, frame mounted and made in USA.