T44 rock sliders - Test fitting (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, that photo was taken somewhere toward the end of the Old Mojave Road trail here in SoCal, where you cross a drying creek just before exiting the trail south of Baker, CA. T44 hasn't updated their web site with these products yet, as they wanted to make sure the modified sliders fit my car first. I am sure they will do so shortly. BTW, the Transfer Case skid plate they offer for the LR3 will need to be modified as well, it doesn't fit properly on the LR4 - they tested it yesterday while they were fitting me with sliders and fuel tank plate. Don't order it if you have an LR4.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, that photo was taken somewhere toward the end of the Old Mojave Road trail here in SoCal, where you cross a drying creek just before exiting the trail south of Baker, CA. T44 hasn't updated their web site with these products yet, as they wanted to make sure the modified sliders fit my car first. I am sure they will do so shortly. BTW, the Transfer Case skid plate they offer for the LR3 will need to be modified as well, it doesn't fit properly on the LR4 - they tested it yesterday while they were fitting me with sliders and fuel tank plate. Don't order it if you have an LR4.
Thanks, umbertob!

Can you please keep me posted, as I am very interested in a few of these accessories once they are ready. Just a stupid question (on my part), will the air compressor set up work on ONLY the T44 rock sliders? I was planning to get my sliders (with steps) from Urban Offroad as those also seem to be fitted (he just did it not that long ago to another 2013 LR4) to accomodate the air compressor location. Anything I should know?

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have more info on the Urban Offroad sliders you are considering? All the ones I have seen from him so far appear to mount on the sills and don't really extend far enough under the vehicle to offer protection to air tank and compressor, but perhaps I am overlooking them.

Regarding T44 products, I am pretty sure you can already order the modified LR4 sliders - even though they may not be featured on their online store yet - and fuel tank plate immediately by giving Eric or Kep a call. The t-case plate needs a modification for 2012+ LR4s as Land Rover apparently added a bracket or counterweight of some sort on a portion of the exhaust there. The plate may fit on earlier build LR4s, though.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have more info on the Urban Offroad sliders you are considering? All the ones I have seen from him so far appear to mount on the sills and don't really extend far enough under the vehicle to offer protection to air tank and compressor, but perhaps I am overlooking them.

Regarding T44 products, I am pretty sure you can already order the modified LR4 sliders - even though they may not be featured on their online store yet - and fuel tank plate immediately by giving Eric or Kep a call. The t-case plate needs a modification for 2012+ LR4s as Land Rover apparently added a bracket or counterweight of some sort on a portion of the exhaust there. The plate may fit on earlier build LR4s, though.
Hello Umberto,

Thank you for the information. I just sent Derek over a message as I am also curious about the extent of protection because his website doesn't really show that they would go near the air tank/compressor. He was telling me via e-mail that he had to update his design based on the year of the LR4 because of the change in air compressor models. I'll keep you posted once I learn more.

Is the air tank/compressor protection available on its own? I see that Urban Offroad has something from Asfir available as well. Sorry for my naive questions.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Asfir sump guard from Derek, he's a great guy, very responsive and helpful. Plus, he is local to me, which I always like. I believe he was also talking to Tactical 4x4 to distribute some of their products. Let me know what he says about his sliders, perhaps he is referring to the T44 ones I just purchased?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Asfir sump guard from Derek, he's a great guy, very responsive and helpful. Plus, he is local to me, which I always like. I believe he was also talking to Tactical 4x4 to distribute some of their products. Let me know what he says about his sliders, perhaps he is referring to the T44 ones I just purchased?
Will do! Yes, he's been great. I have been more than fine with my current Voyager sliders and even if Derek's do not offer quite the protection of the T44 ones, I will still go with the ones from Urban and see about air tank/compressor protection.

Derek recently told me he might be cutting his ties with Asfir because he doesn't feel that some of the underbody protection fits the LR4 very well?

I plan to drive over to him (he's in Oakhurst, right?) to get my roof rack, sliders, and ladder installed after my truck gets delivered.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, by "local" I meant California... I always support California businesses if given a choice, God knows we need all the help we can get in this messed up state... Which reminds me, why don't the Administrators of this forum turn on the "location" under the member's name, join date and number of posts? It makes it so much easier to know where the poster is writing from at times, without having to ask.

I see what he means about Asfir. My Asfir sump guard fits fine and is well made, for the money I really can't complain, but you can tell by its front end design that it was really made for the LR3, not the LR4 (or the Sport.)

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto, I will be getting T44 rock sliders and gas tank skid plate soon for my 2013 LR4. Thanks for the info regarding transfer case skid plate.
How does it work for you in everyday driving.? Did you notice any changes in acceleration, breaking or more road noise? I am asking since my LR4 is also a daily driver and a family car for trips.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say I have noticed any performance hit so far. No extra noise. I was expecting some extra noise from the compressor when it runs, but as I mentioned earlier it seems to be quieter than before actually, must be the new bracket. Otherwise no "new" noise reverberating in the cabin.

One thing I would recommend is slamming the doors pretty good after you are done installing both sliders and fuel tank. Mine made an annoying metal vibration noise right after the guys at T44 were finished, easily corrected by adding metal washers to a couple of bolts holding the fuel plate in place. The bolts, although fully tightened, still left enough play for the plate to slightly vibrate against the RH slider. The metal washers took care of that play, and the car as been a tomb since.

Fuel usage seems about the same as before. I have done the math, between the two rock sliders (about 200 lbs for both) and the fuel tank plate (about 60), plus the extra battery I put in yesterday in the engine compartment (40 lbs) I have added about 300 lbs of sprung weight with my mods. That's a lot, but not enough for this car to notice given the prodigious engine and wonderful brakes. If gas mileage has gone down a 1/2 mile per gallon, I'll live. My brakes may wear out faster now, but the car still stops on a dime like before. And I can feel I definitely lost a little pep from a standstill, but I didn't buy this car for 0-60 sprint times. For the amount of protection I gained, I am willing to put up with the drawbacks. It's my daily driver too, lots of miles. I've had her for just over 4 months and I have over 10K miles on her already.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey umberto and others,

We were discussing how the air compressor unit in the 2013 model hangs lower than previous years and this prompted T44 to create a new bracket to lift it up (to accomodate their sliders). I was wondering if we could buy just the bracket, so I contacted T44 and they said you can buy the updated 2013 air compressor bracket for $60.00. This will at least give you a little more than an inch additional clearance. I already paid for and ordered slides, but they do not extend out, though I am working with Urban to see what he can design to get me more air compressor protection.

Considering the gauges in my current plastic case (the air compressor is fine though), I NEED more protection - especially if it hangs lower in the 2013.

Just wanted to pass this along. Give them a call to order the bracket.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM