TDV6 in LR3 in future?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I'm looking ahead into the future and the price of fuel. Does anyone have information about the possibilities of switching out the 4.4 V8 with the euro TDV6 or even a Tdi- given that it complies with US emissions? Will it be possible in 5-10 years to import the engine to the states? I realize it might be costly. That way, I know there are options to run the LR3 on diesel, bio-diesel, veg. oil from the local restaurant or whatever else fits in there to keep it going...

Also, I've read that the Prius will have solar panels on its roof in the near future. What about an aftermarket idea to mount thin, photo voltic panels to the roof and hood of the LR3 that power the engine or components partially or completely....? just brainstorming the idea because I don't have plans to part my ride over the next 10+ years...

thanks. Any thoughts?

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this is all speculation on my part:

1. TDV6 - It certainly seems doable since LR already puts one in the LR3 in Europe. Assuming Ford had some sort of good influence on them, I would expect that there isn't major modification needed between the two versions (petrol vs. diesel). Having said that, a couple key questions come to mind:

a. Does it use the same transmission?
b. What about the ECU, wiring harness, etc. It could require some pretty major modifications to all the SW (one uses spark plugs, another no plugs, etc).

2. Solar Panels - This one seems much harder. Most electric vehicles use electric motors at each wheel - assuming you wanted the solar panels to actually drive the car forward (not just offload things like radio, AC, etc), then this would be a major undertaking. Anything is doable with enough money, but this seems beyond what is rational. If you just want to use them to offload some of the alternator's work (and thus free up some engine power for better mileage) then this is probably doable, but you would still need some sort of tie in with the main electrical system that has its own battery for storing the power.

In general, I'm hoping Land Rover has the TDV6 or TDV8 in the RRS or LR3 by 2010 (clearly in the US) - I'd prefer to have them figure it all out :biggrin:

-Rich

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I agree totally about the ECU... it would probably be easier to simply move into a new ride with the TDV6....

Just found an article from trucktrend.com when the TDV6s were test driven in Argentina. This is a great article and mentions that they might be available in the US in 2010. I've traveled to BA and southern Argentina. Had the opportunity to drive around the Calafate (the writer misspelled the town)...and it is absolutely beautiful... possibly better than Colorado..

Here is the link to the article on the TDV6.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/travel/163_0805_land_rover_lr3_tdv6_diesel/index.html

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another mag very recently wrote about this version, too - maybe Automobile or C&D, I get so many more that I can't recall which - and liked it. We have diesel at work for the trucks, so I could fill up right there so the smell can wear off my shoes all day at work before I head home!!

bldgrn

Reaction score
TDV6 in LR3 Future

Had the opportunity to drive a TDV6 for a week in the UK on vacation (part of which to where else Mecca errr.... I mean Solihull) anyways...drove it for a week very impressed. Great throttle response, not noisy in the least. Never knew there was a 6 under the hood not to mention a diesel. I knew they weren't noisy, we had a gentlemen at last years MAR that had imported his to CA and was driving it across the US. It impressed me then and after driving it I am keeping my fingers crossed they bring it in in 2010. Oh and the upside was the wife loved it too.

jbrockiii

Reaction score
What does the diesel get mpg-wise? I just sold a MB ML320 CDI- averaged around 22. I was thinking diesel would be great for LR to bring over here, but with diesel prices what they are now.....

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the diesel get mpg-wise? I just sold a MB ML320 CDI- averaged around 22. I was thinking diesel would be great for LR to bring over here, but with diesel prices what they are now.....

I would love a diesel LR3 or RRS too. Diesel is expensive, but if you compare the mpg benefits, it is actually still a cheaper alternative (assuming the cars cost the same):

Petrol = 16mpg (this is about what we avg in our LR3 all around)
Diesel = 22mpg

37.5% increase in mpg with the diesel.

If 91 octane costs $4.09 (about what we pay right now in CO) and diesel costs about $4.99 (I think it is even less than that), then that is a 22% premium for diesel, but you get 38% better gas mileage, so it is a better route to go.

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM