Termostat help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,guys.

I have a question: How easy or hard is to replace a thermostat? Does it involve draining a coolant or should I depressurize a system ?I know ,someone from this forum did that long time a go and it suppose to be an easy job.
I also would like to change or clean MAF sensor,but not sure about the whole procedure.Any ideas?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously friends,no response?At all? Dealer just quoted me 600.oo for MAF and thermostat.I fond this ridiculous and..funny.I can get thermostat for 33.00 from one website ,just need some guidance.Please!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a small % of DIY guys here and an even smaller % that have ever needed to replace the Termostat or MAF. You can try searching the other LR3 forum for the more exotic request like this. I find this forum is higher signal to noise (but more limited in depth). YMMV.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously friends,no response?At all? Dealer just quoted me 600.oo for MAF and thermostat.I fond this ridiculous and..funny.I can get thermostat for 33.00 from one website ,just need some guidance.Please!

Never did either on an LR3 but had done many in the past. MAF's are usually inline with the air intake system and should be able to be swapped out without issues. Mostly, disconnecting the negative lead while you replace the sensor is all thats needed. Then sometimes a good week for the computer to recalibrate the mixture due to the new readings. Unless you modified your MAF, its unlikely its bad...

Thermostats are generally only difficult if they are in hard to reach spots. The system should have little to no pressure once its cooled down. If your fluid is good then just replace whats lost when disconnecting the heater hose. How do you know your stat needs replacement?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually that was one of my concerns since thermostat is usually affiliated with check engine light and reduced engine performance message.that is what i am getting recently.check engine happened twice within a month and reduced performance message pups up once every week and vanishes quickly as well as check engine light.Lurking through many posts ,this was most common problem,thermostat,but...today I went to local AUTO ZONE and ask a guy to read my Faults and ..he did.Obviously ,when he connected his OBD scanner and plugged it to the store computer he was not able to pinpoint exact problem but ,this thing read as follows:
-Faulty oxygen sensor
-dirty MAF sensor
clogged fuel injectors and
dirty air filter.
Air filter unlikely, since is relatively new.MAF and oxygen sensors?All i need is some guidance how to change them and then i will wait for my CPU's ultimate answer.I not sure if it is enough ,but i would like to take my chances and than go to dealers for more info.
-

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no longer a mechanic but I can tell you that I disagree with the scanner. What is your milieage? A bad or dirty MAF could cause most of those issues but Im not sure why the thermostat has anything to do with it. Please explain.....

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scanner says nothing about thermostat.That was my suspicion before read out browsing through many answers regarding check engine light.now I will probably look for MAF sensor cleaner for starters.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably look for MAF sensor cleaner for starters.

Thats where I would start. Just make sure you get sensor safe fuel injection cleaner spray. Or something similar. A bad or dirty MAF could trick the computer into thinking the air/fuel mixture is off causing the mix to become more rich/lean in result burning up the 02 sensor. Get a good injector cleaner to mix in your gas. i like lucas brand but whatever you prefer. A basic tune up if its been a while and some good fuel. Mid grade seems to work best in my area as the highest grade gas has the most ethanol which all my cars seem to hate. good luck.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used electronics cleaner to get some extra life out of my Audi MAF. But I had a *** cable to read the GAL/sec and fuel adaption so I could tell exactly whats going with that car. I feel completely blind with the LR3 - so glad its running well.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I poured a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank ,see what happens next,but seriously considering buying Foultmate ms2 from British company and since i own my car it might help me and save some bucks in the long run.They suppose to have a representative in Florida somewhere.Someone mentioned a CDC company that makes a good MAF sensor cleaner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM