The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, what you're saying is anecdotal at best...regarding the aluminum "grabbing" onto rocks. That would either speak to the coefficient of friction for aluminum vs. steel if it's a matter of sliding. Or if you assert that the rock is bearing into the material, forming a groove and catching that way it also speaks to the (Rockwell) hardness. I've honestly never compared the average hardness number of the two materials, but I have a tough time believing that the difference is palpable enough to give steel the nod as the better material (in CA or WA) considering its density vs. aluminum and the fact that aluminum doesn't rust (as easily?)

BTW, we have rocks up here too! :)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see they have a facebook with some names and #'s listed.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, we have rocks up here too! :)

Hmmm.. are your rocks generally brown in color, with a dark fibery skin, sometimes have green moss on them, and will burn in certain circumstances? Those my friend, are called logs. :)

LOL

Nathan, what you're saying is anecdotal at best...regarding the aluminum "grabbing" onto rocks. That would either speak to the coefficient of friction for aluminum vs. steel if it's a matter of sliding. Or if you assert that the rock is bearing into the material, forming a groove and catching that way it also speaks to the (Rockwell) hardness. I've honestly never compared the average hardness number of the two materials, but I have a tough time believing that the difference is palpable enough to give steel the nod as the better material (in CA or WA) considering its density vs. aluminum and the fact that aluminum doesn't rust (as easily?)

Those are good observations. Yes, I think the Coefficient of Friction is massively different between steel and alum plate, but I don't think its actually due to shore hardness. If I were to guess, I would think its the grain or density of the metal, but that's just a guess on my part. Please note i did not state which is better, just that they are different. Personally, I think sliders are best in steel, and due to the significant bearing area and lack of cantilevered connections, aluminum is structurally adequate for skid plates, and desirable due to the significant weight savings.

Trynian

Reaction score
Nice work TR guys! Your stuff is looking good.

Tactical Rovers have been fabbing up stuff for D1's on a custom basis down here in Southern Cal for a while and more recently decided to make it a more formal venture. They have been talking about putting some stuff together for the LR3 for the last year. I think Ben Hall was one of the first customers for a complete set up and they used his truck to work out some of the designs.

As for steel vs. Alum. It is a trade off. I have a little of both and I do have to pound out my Rasta 6mm alum plates every so often but I do like the weight. 8mm probably would have been more sturdy like the Mantec. For critical locations like the gas tank and sliders I do like having the steel.

Keep up the good work guys.

Scott

Trynian

Reaction score
Just had my new winch bumper, RS's, gas tank skid and t-case skid intalled. All courtesy of Tactical Rovers.

Looking Good Ben, Glad you finally got yourself outfitted they way you told me out on the trail.

Scott

benjihall

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, long time coming. You are right about tactical rovers. They had my truck about three weeks in all, designing and all that stuff. I am really happy with all of the gear. See you in big bear.

Trynian

Reaction score
By any chance is this a reincarnation of Urban Offroad?

No, these are a couple new guys to the field. I do think they picked up a little equipment from Safari Guard when they shut down but not entirely sure on that.

I have known them for a few years and watched as they started making stuff for their own vehicles. Word got around and they started doing some custom work here and there for other D1 and 2 owners on our offroad trips and listening to LR3 guys complain about lack of options. The next step was only logical.

I am just glad to see some of my friends be able to have some options for their Land Rovers.

Reaction score
OK ok..... It's really no mystery who we are. One can easily find out buy doing a little searching, or just reading the bio on our web site. If I just told you Nathan, where would be the fun in that? You were the trail leader on the first trip I took my family on with SCLR about 7 or 8 years back. Then we were on many trips together since. Though I don't expect you to know who I am.
I am not in any way affiliated with Bottorf. You can copy, paste and take that to the bank. We will most likely be annoying the after market industry simply because we plan to have stock ready to ship when ordered.
We are located in So.Cal and NO we are not affiliated with Safari Gard either. It was when the closed there doors that we decided to open ours.
I have been fabing for many years and decided it's time to give it a go on the retail level.
All of our products are designed by myself and my partner with the input of many Rover enthusiasts. The only outsourcing we do is the laser cutting and cnc bending.
I have been welding for over twenty five years and am still a student of the melting metal.
Aluminum....Love the stuff. But, to achieve the strength to put up with the abuse I personally put my ride through it would have to be .50 thick and affordability would be out the window.
Ben, Thanks for letting us prototype on your LR3, you are a very patient man.
Eric.

Reaction score
No, these are a couple new guys to the field. I do think they picked up a little equipment from Safari Guard when they shut down but not entirely sure on that.

I have known them for a few years and watched as they started making stuff for their own vehicles. Word got around and they started doing some custom work here and there for other D1 and 2 owners on our offroad trips and listening to LR3 guys complain about lack of options. The next step was only logical.

I am just glad to see some of my friends be able to have some options for their Land Rovers.
Thanks, I obviously couldn't say it better in more words.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99