The shop says ignore the ticking or sell it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I

IthinkIloveit

My new '99 Discovery SD (super deluxe :) ) with 69k miles on it has decided to start ticking and making an awful racket on start up, so I found your sight and some helpful info on the subject and just had the thing flushed out and oil filter replaced with a k & n 3001 and it still makes the noise.

The shop said it was probably the lifters getting stuck a little bit before being lubed up and I should either drive till it gets "real bad" or sell it now. Well I just bought it so I don't want to sell it right now, and I don't really want it to get worse, nor am I convinced that is what the problem is.

I'm hoping some of you have experienced this and can being a shining light on a cruddy day.

Thank you in advance!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the oil pick up tube is either clogged or may have fallen off... drop the oil pan and fix before it cost you a small fortune.

T

texasrover

Are you running synthetic oil? This has been know to cause a mild tick during start up... sounds like you have more than a mild tick, though. I would certainly take the time to make sure the engine is getting oil. You do not want to pay for that repair.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing, drop the pan and check the oil pickup tube. These usually get clogged up real good. Get a new one if its real dirty. When reinstalling, use some locktite on the bolts. While the pan is off, clean it real good as well. If this doesnt do it, remove valve covers and check torque on rocker shafts. Might as well clean the valve covers and replace gasket as well too.

Ive done all this and still have some ticking at startup, but only after its sit for a while (day or two). And it goes away fairly quickly.

Another possibility is an oil pump that is going bad. These are built into the front cover. Not real hard to replace, just takes time and patience.

One other thing. Before every other oil change, I pour a can of seafoam into the crankcase and drive 10 or so miles then drain it. Half a can in the plenum and the other half in the gas to help clean the injectors. I dont really think this stuff works wonders like everyone thinks, but it seems to have a placebo effect on me.

Last edited:
T

texasrover

I have used Seafoam in the gas and it does the trick as well as a fuel treatment can. I have never put it in the oil. Something has always bothered me about additives in the oil. I run Amsoil from head to toe and so far so good. I did throw some SeaFoam in the plenum like you said... let me tell you one thing, make sure you have lots of fresh air and your nosey neighbor does not call the fire department! I can not believe how much that think smoked. Seemed to do a great job, though. The revs are smoother as well as the idle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99