Thinking about a 2003 HSE7...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daytoman

Reaction score
I found a very nice (inside and out) 03 HSE7. Its got 122K on the clock. Its completely loaded..with everything from the old Navi to a rear mounted DVD player...which no one on the lot knows how to work including me...help??

Anyway, I test drove it..it runs great, stops great, air suspension works, heck everything works...except the DVD. LOL!
I'm really smitten with it. I've run into some used ones here and there over the last few years but this one is in extremely good overall shape compared to what I've seen in the past.

I noticed its got a oil leak..any common clues on that? Its up towards the front of the motor.

I'm selling my 04 Expedition EB 4x4 with all the goodies. with 112K on it.

Thinking about this Disco to replace it.

Am I smoking crack to get rid of my reliable, non leaking, plush, did I say reliable Expedition? or would this be a decent trade out? I use it as a daily driver.

I tow a 3700lb boat/trailer combo to the lake about 1 or 2 times a month during the summer for about 160 miles each way...and I tow the boat a 1 or 2 times during the week days to the local lake, only about 15 miles each way. Will this thing handle it?

Do I need to worry about over heating this model?...I mean, is it some kind of problem on the Discos? The service tech over there says I should be aware.

Anyway, any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First Welcome to the forum. Second if you plan to tow alot, I would not recommend the Disco. Don't get me wrong, I love my Disco and the newer ones, but I would not use it to tow on a regular basis.

Daytoman

Reaction score
Thanks! Glad to be here.

Thanks for the reply.
I dont consider the amount I tow as to being "often" but I guess in relation to how often most folks tow....it could be considered often. :) A long tow 1 or 2 weekends a month from around May to the end of August. And a very short tow once or twice a week during the same timeframe. Not much at all during Fall/Winter/Spring months... Is that considered often?

But yeah, If the Disco cant handle some moderate towing, and the term moderate is pushing it IMHO, then its probably not the rig for me.

Damn.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly Rovers have an aluminum engine that tends to over heat very fast if you don't check fluid levels often and if something goes wrong. My reasoning is, first most people don't check their vehicles levels often and second, if something goes wrong and you towing something you only have seconds to notice it before your buying a new engine. Never a good option for a daily driver.

Daytoman

Reaction score
Sadly Rovers have an aluminum engine that tends to over heat very fast if you don't check fluid levels often and if something goes wrong. My reasoning is, first most people don't check their vehicles levels often and second, if something goes wrong and you towing something you only have seconds to notice it before your buying a new engine. Never a good option for a daily driver.

Well, this is frustrating. The truck is very nice and in great shape, wife loves it and its going at a good price... but it seems like a timebomb and crapshoot. Sounds like these things are best suited as second vehicles, soccer mom taxis, garage queens or weekend trail warriors....Not suited as daily drivers or true utility vehicles. Thats a shame. I'm bummed but I guess I'll move on.

I've owned two Triumph motorcycles..a 1999 model and a 2006 model. So I know the "quirks" of owning British steel. I will admitt that the 2006 bike was FAR superior in reliability than the 99 model. The same probably holds true with Rovers...just cant afford a newer Rover right now..LOL!
But I lived with the 99 bike for 10 years because I lived the "character" so much. I sold it last year and miss it big time. I'm sure I would love the Disco too but alas, I cant afford to risk it as a daily driver and occasional tow rig. Dang it. :frown:

Good luck everyone and thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM