Third row seats!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canalawyer

Reaction score
Hi, I own a Lr3 2006 SE, wich is fantastic for me, but it does not come with the third row seat on the back!

My question is where can I purchase the seat, and do I need to do major modifications in order to intall the seats ??

Maybe a silly question but I apreciate the info!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you couldn't just bolt in a set that had been removed but the trim parts along the edge and more importantly, the latches for the seat bottoms that are in the side trim, would not be included unless someone also removed those replacing with custom build.

I removed mine and they just bolt into the body. You should verify the mount holes being there, hopefully with plugs of some sort, before proceeding. There is also the issue of safety as you won't have the 3rd row seat belts or 3rd row window air bag curtain. Most important being the seat belts though which would require different D pillar trim and all the mounting.

It's not as simple as bolting in a seat.

Go find an lr3 with the seats and look more closely at what's different in yours.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't poked around in the back of one with the 3rd row, but I can't see how that would work with mine. The entire boot floor is a panel (made of wood) and when lifted has a bunch of tools and the access to the spare and such. How do the ones with 3rd row differ? Clearly they also have those tools so where does that third row "live" when not deployed?

Pardon my ignorance; having a tough time visualizing it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the "tools" like jack and lug wrench were in the right side cargo hatch in front of the right rear lights. Not much was there though right ? jack, wrench, what else?

Maybe under the wood floor is the same as my floor. Mine has no such "wood". Under the seats are the carpet just like in 2nd row with cut out spots for the mounting points. I recall it mounts in the center and then on the sides using T55 bolts.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back of the third row seats folds to the level of your wood panel. That styrofoam piece under the wood panel is where the folded seats lie. I just pulled the seats out of my 13 and I'd be completely surprised if the holes aren't there on the 5 seater. It wouldn't make any sense to not drill them as it's going down the line. I did not remove the seatbelts as I didn't want to mess with all the D pillar panel (I break clips a lot). And I didn't even think of the airbags -
The other things you'd have to worry about is the latches that hold the seat backs down when you fold them forward. Which means you'd either have to buy new side floor panels (where the tie down hooks are) or cut that up yourself. and there's a plastic panel that the 6 central bolts bolt through on the floor - although I'm not sure what it does, might just be a trim piece. About the only way I'd tackle that project is if I found one at a junkyard and got to disassemble it myself to see that I got everything.
Interestingly, the dealerships near me said that there was no way I could buy the parts to make it into a 5 seater - a couple pieces of wood, styrofoam, and a bracket...Sounded a little implausible, but whatever, I'm just hacking up some wood until I get something that works for me.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the "tools" like jack and lug wrench were in the right side cargo hatch in front of the right rear lights. Not much was there though right ? jack, wrench, what else?

Maybe under the wood floor is the same as my floor. Mine has no such "wood". Under the seats are the carpet just like in 2nd row with cut out spots for the mounting points. I recall it mounts in the center and then on the sides using T55 bolts.

Don't forget the little bitty screwdriver and the 3" wheel chucks!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other things you'd have to worry about is the latches that hold the seat backs down when you fold them forward. Which means you'd either have to buy new side floor panels (where the tie down hooks are) or cut that up yourself. and there's a plastic panel that the 6 central bolts bolt through on the floor - although I'm not sure what it does, might just be a trim piece. About the only way I'd tackle that project is if I found one at a junkyard and got to disassemble it myself to see that I got everything.

This may be what you meant but to be sure it's clear to others: the 3rd row seats fold in two segments, the "backs" and the "bottoms". The bottoms are the only part that latch into the side panel area right up at the nose of it. The plastic center bit, I think you are correct, is just for looks to keep it tidy when opening them.

Interestingly, the dealerships near me said that there was no way I could buy the parts to make it into a 5 seater - a couple pieces of wood, styrofoam, and a bracket...Sounded a little implausible, but whatever, I'm just hacking up some wood until I get something that works for me.

Of course you could buy the parts. How ridiculous for them to say that. Every single "part" is for sale from the engine to the glass sections or carpet. I've even seen the parts exploded view showing the alternatives for that area with all the pieces.

However, as crazy as it may sound, I do think selling a 5 seater to then buy a 7 seat is probably much easier but also potentially equal in end costs if you were careful about the transactions. You could not legally sell the 5 seat version as a 7 seat because it wouldn't be registered as such by the VIN. You could be sued for tampering with safety items, etc. and I'd bet a dealer wouldn't touch it for a trade-in.

I really don't even understand why someone would attempt this unless they really don't care about who might actually sit back there :/

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't even understand why someone would attempt this unless they really don't care about who might actually sit back there :/

Maybe just a little bit of an overstatement. People did drive before airbags were invented you know, I'm sure there were at least a few that cared about their passengers but did it anway...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just a little bit of an overstatement. People did drive before airbags were invented you know, I'm sure there were at least a few that cared about their passengers but did it anway...

No, not overstated at all if you know what I'm referring to:
I'm talking about the seat belts that must be installed properly to function properly.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking you were referring to airbags, but still overstated IMO. I'd be able to let someone sit back there unbelted on occasion and still care about 'em. Fortunately I don't have to worry about it though, never have that many passengers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM