Thumping when Reversing after car has been parked overnight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quirozson

Reaction score
Thumping/pulsating when Reversing after car has been parked. Coming from the rear. Sometimes continues at slow speeds when I go forward, but goes away once I hit about 8mph.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your parking brake applied overnight?

I have a similar situation, but its a click, not a thump. I think my cheap brake rotors combined with brakes adjusted just a little too tight, and when released by the button, any buildup rubs on the pads causing a click sound. My fix is to use the "drive away" feature. I dont release the parking brake, rather just put it in gear and move. the slight amount of rotation, before the pads retract, knocks off any buildup.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are parking outside or even just in the cold right now, your tires could have a slight flat spot in them, unless you're driving on some soft-rubber winter tires meant for 0 to 10 degrees.

JDiehl

Reaction score
My rover makes the same thumping noise in the morning when backing down the driveway. This is the only time that the noise is made. I have drilled and slotted rotors with good pads. I always chalked it up to rust build up overnight. Anyway I can live with it. It is better than the trash truck sound brakes my wife's LR4 had. The whole block could tell when she left for work in the morning backing onto the street.

quirozson

Reaction score
is your parking brake applied overnight?

I have a similar situation, but its a click, not a thump. I think my cheap brake rotors combined with brakes adjusted just a little too tight, and when released by the button, any buildup rubs on the pads causing a click sound. My fix is to use the "drive away" feature. I dont release the parking brake, rather just put it in gear and move. the slight amount of rotation, before the pads retract, knocks off any buildup.
No parking brake

quirozson

Reaction score
If you are parking outside or even just in the cold right now, your tires could have a slight flat spot in them, unless you're driving on some soft-rubber winter tires meant for 0 to 10 degrees.

Interesting. Will see if it changes with temp. Will also see what happens when I switch out my winter tires.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it too. I'm thinking a thin coating of surface rust on the rotors or maybe the parking brake shoes may be the cause.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72