Ticking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
I have 2000 Disco 2 with 119,000 mile on it. It runs and drives beautifully however I recently noticed a loud ticking noise coming from the driver side of the engine while at an idle. It doesnt do this all of the time, just every now and then and it goes away when I accelerate. I would venture to say it sounds like a lifter but dont have much experience with Land Rover engines. Can anyone help me?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen/heard this before... the odds are it could be a lifter, but I have seen where it is the sleeve moving slightly in the block

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Im guessing that neither are cheap fixes....especially if the sleeve is loose. Im assuming you are talking about the sleeve in the cylinder wall around the piston. Sounds like this can cause major damage. How can I tell which one it is exactly and what damage can be incurred if left unattended. This is my daily driver and I cant have it down but I dont want to cause major damge either.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen this be a sleeve issue, and never cause a problem...

If a lifter is broken or loose, this will need to be addressed... I would use a mechanic stethoscope to check to see where the issue is.

It could also just be a crack in the exhaust manifold.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
After listening to this more carefully, I found the noise is actually coming from the passenger side of the engine. If sounds as if someone is tapping on the valve cover with a hammer. It never happens at startup only after I have been driving and then stop, and again it doesnt happen all of the time.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
any more ideas? the sound is really loud under the passenger side valve cover...but its not consistent. Sometimes it is quiet and smooth and others like a hammer is pounding the valve cover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635