Ticking sound underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redrocker

Reaction score
I am experiencing quite a puzzler here. 03 Disco SE7, 53K miles.....in past couple of weeks (right after an oil change) I have been experiencing a ticking sound, a couple of ticks, a second or two goes by and then two more. The pattern then cycles again and again. Seems to be coming from underneath. Doesn't follow the rhythm of the engine. At the oil change I mentioned, the shop I use tightened the heat shield underneath to stop a rattling sound when in gear. I took the truck back yesterday to see if they could determine what the new sound is. They could not say. At first, I thought it could be some debris in the oil pan or a pulley of some sort. Yesterday's check and yet another oil and filter change yielded no answers. I was also not low on oil. The sound is not coming from the top of the engine, i.e. the valves, although it sounds similar, it's just not the constant tick, tick you hear with sticky valves. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Chad

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be your belt rotating and giving off a ticking sound (rubber belt)? I had the stealer replace mine just before the warrenty/free maintenance ended on my '03 SE-7. They should be replaced before the 4 year period/ 70,000 KM IIRC. Look in your service schedule book.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the ticking change when you put it in gear? My cracked flex plate ticked, but it was a pretty constant tick when at idle.

Redrocker

Reaction score
Ticking seems to be pretty constant. Maybe a little quieter when put in gear. A real stumper. I'll check into the flex plate you mentioned.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance it is the belt tensioner? I know these are a know issue on all LR's... cheap bearings, and on the D2 they are a plastic pulley.

Redrocker

Reaction score
Belt tensioner is a possibility. I'm looking into it today. Thanks, Joey. Chad.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope it's the belt tensioner, it is the cheapest fix for you.
When mine made the noise it was #6 cylinder exhaust valve, when it was overheated the seat moved slightly, one of the repairs I did was new seats.
Of course I'm talking about the 4.0 and 4.6 v-8.
Another item made a simular sound, deep in the engine, audible, but not very loud. The oil pump outer gear was broke in two pieces. someone before my wife and I bought this was sloppy in changing the oil and got a few grains of dirt in the crank case. There is no clearance in this pump design for debris period. Those who have been into this engine know what I'm talking about.
The outer gear runs eccentrically to the one on the crankshaft, it's center is approximately 1/4" lower than the crank gear. When the outer gear of this eccentric gear oil pump breaks, it begins to machine the timing cover housing.
This can be verified by taking off the oil filter and saving the oil in it. Then cut open the bottom of the filter and let drain into a clean container. If you see aluminum glitter in it, the gear is broke, ours was full of aluminum debris, (glitter). None of the debris will pass the filter so the engine is fine, pan gasket, timing cover assembly with oil pump will need to be replaced. this can all be done in the vehicle. A good place for parts is atlanticbritish.com and Britishpacific.com the timing cover runs around $735.00 the pan gasket is around $24.95
Oh by the way this broken oil pump gear noise oscillates the relief valve and causes an inconsistant repetative deep noise. I modified the pickup tube and bought some 100 mesh stainless screen and put it over the pick up tube oem screen like a inflated sock wrapped over it, and attached it to the tube with a strong stainless hose clamp. Although I'm still going to be as clean as can be around the oil fill and serviceing as clean as I can.
I sure hope it is the belt tensioner.......

Last edited:

Redrocker

Reaction score
Update

First of all, thanks to those who responded to my original posting on this ticking sound coming from underneath my 03 Disco SE7. I broke down and went to Land Rover Cincinnati with the truck last week and they discovered my oil pump was faulty. I haven't had a chance to speak with the tech yet, but 53K miles and two oil pumps is my history on this vehicle. The first oil pump stopped and I seized the engine. New oil pump, new engine and 30K miles later, I experience this...another bad oil pump. That was the apparent ticking sound.

I know Land Rover said the 03 Disco had a series of VIN numbers with bad oil pumps... Mine being one of them. Anyone else experience this type of problem? I'm real concerned this is going to be a future problem as well.

This time, however, the problem with the pump did not result in any warning lights on the dash. I'm hoping I've done no internal engine damage. How would I know, though?

Again, thanks to Chongo and Joey for the original replies. A real stumper, just wanted to post a reply.

Cheers,

Redrocker (Chad)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have heard of the oil pumps being faulty... and it has nothing to do with the 03 model year, it is the oil pumps themselves... remember the lowest bidder always gets the sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635