Time to build up the disco...need some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get some good info here.

I've been reading tons on the different ways to build a disco and I need some feedback on my ideas.

First, the disco will never replace the capabilities of my light SWB Jeep on 35 and lockers on the trails. I won't be able to go up the same trails as I used too, nor do I want to try to with this rig. This isn't a matter of Jeep VS Rover just physics.

So I need a capable vehicle that wpn't be monsterous(sp?) for clients to get in and out of, something that can get me to my destinations (studio, surf spots or secret fly fishing holes) and also behave well for long road trips.

If what I have read is right, it will cost $2000 just in suspension to reach 32s on a disco 1. Thats not including gears, tires or bumpers.

Thats a lot of $$ just for 32s, so my two thoughts are this....

Spend the $600 for an OME MD Suspension, hopefully not get driveline issues and run 31s. Then add some bumpers and rockers and call it good.

OR

Spend the $600 for the OME MD Suspension, hopefully not get any driveline issues, get disco 2 flares and trim accordingly, slap 235/85 R16s and some 4.10 gears with bumpers and rockers. Will cost me a bit more but should work well.

I want to try to avoid gettin the cut radius arms and new DS to accomadate DL angles.

So what does everyone think?

Thanks!

Justin

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJMyerz said:
it will cost $2000 just in suspension
Tell me more about how it would cost $2000 in suspension.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
According to Rovertym,

I need to get the A Arm Extender, longer rear links, chopped radius arms, springs, shocks, spring retainers and a front DS. The total is on or over $2000

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 265/75 R16 on my Rover which is about 31.6" and all I had to was get the shocks and springs. No vibrations.

Keep in mind that depending on what kind of shocks you use, you will need to buy spring retainers no matter what size of tire you use.

I also forgive you for saying that about Jeeps. I learned to drive on a Jeep and have never looked back since my Rover.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
So all you have is the OME MD Springs / Shocks then? What about trimming?

Thanks!

Justin

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to trim the rear fender slightly. http://www.landroverworld.org/technical/discovery_1/off_road/fender.php

But you have to do that with just about any oversized tire. The front never touches, but you do have to adjust the bolt by the wheel (see http://www.landroverworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=226 for a pick that I posted)

In the front I have bilstein shocks and OME MD rear springs. In the rear I have bilstein shocks and OME HD rear springs. I also made 1" spacers for the rear. This gives me a 2" maybe 2.5" lift. It is real nice.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, if you lucky, you can get away with 2-3" suspension lift, that would run you for about 700$ (springs, shocks, rear shock mounts relocation).

However you in time will need to upgrade rear shaft, specially if you will go higher in gears or do lots of hard crawling. With 3" lift on D1 you may also (or may not) get nasty vibes from front shaft.

You will not need any real fender cutting to fit 32" tires with any of those lifts, only front lip on front bumper airdam and rear lip on inside of rear wheel wells.

When choosing which springs to grab - think ahead, b/c if you put on aftermarket bumpers and rack - it will add constant load and therefore softer (i.e more comfy) springs will sag faster over time. So for a while you may to have to ride quite hard riding vehicle which will soften after adding more stuff :)

All that said - i been running my 235x85 for a while with just stock sagged suspension and cutting mentioned above ;) However i upgraded to 3" NWP lift with OME shocks before hitting any real trails.

S

SNNIPER

I Have Got 265/85/16 With Only 3" Suspension Lift And A 2.5"body Lift With No Trimming And No Mech Problems.

A

andyb

JJMyerz said:
slap 235/85 R16s and some 4.10 gears
IMHO it's easier to change the xfer case gearing to the D90 1.4:1 gears than mess with the ring and pinion in the diffs. Also you retain Rover bits that you can get off the shelf.

Just my 2pence worth :smile:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - its kind of true, but there is one tiny issue with it in States - its nearly impossible to find used t-case gearing from used D-90, as they are not getting imported for ages. And low case regearing of t-case via GBR (about only place i know) is hefty 2K, while r&p will be from about (for set of 2) - 400$ to 1000$ (depending on what you getting). Not including installation charges of course.

twopence is now like what - 4-5 cents? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM